dudhi sabji or lauki sabzi is an easy and slightly spiced version of lauki sabzi. lauki is also known bottle gourd or opo squash in english. lauki is also known as ghiya, dudhi, sorakaya, sorakkai, lau in some other indian languages.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium size onion - finely chopped or ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 medium to large tomatoes - finely chopped or 1 to 1.25 cups tightly packed finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 or 2 green chilies - chopped
- 1 inch ginger - finely chopped or ground or 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder – optional
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) – optional
- 3 cups chopped bottle gourd (lauki or ghiya or opo squash)
- 1 cup water for pressure cooking
- salt as required
- ½ teaspoon punjabi garam masala or regular garam masala powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (optional)
heat oil in a 2 litre pressure cooker. add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
let the cumin seeds splutter and crackle.
then add ½ cup chopped onions.
mix and begin to sauté onions on a medium-low flame till they turn translucent.
now add 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger and 1 to 2 green chilies (chopped).
sauté for some seconds till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
then add 1 to 1.25 cups tightly packed tomatoes.
mix and begin to sauté the tomatoes on a medium-low flame till they become mushy and pulpy. the oil also starts to leave the masala.
in the meantime when the tomatoes are getting cooked, rinse, peel and chop the lauki. keep aside.
when the tomatoes have become pulpy and you see oil releasing from the sides of the masala, then add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chili powder and 1 teaspoon coriander powder (optional). also add 1 pinch of asafoetida (optional).
sauté for a minute.
then add 3 cups chopped lauki (bottle gourd or ghia). sauté for a minute.
cooking lauki sabji
add salt as per taste and pour 1 cup water. mix very well.
pressure cook lauki sabzi for 3 to 4 whistles or 7 to 8 minutes on medium flame till the lauki is cooked well and becomes mushy.
when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid of the cooker.
if you find the lauki sabzi to be more liquid then dry it a little by simmering in the cooker without the lid till you get the desired consistency in the sabzi.
finally add ½ teaspoon punjabi garam masala powder or garam masala powder. you can also add 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves at this step.
serve lauki ki sabzi hot with some phulkas or chapatis.
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 672mg | Potassium: 349mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 12% | Vitamin C: 16% | Calcium: 5.8% | Iron: 8.5%