Kaddu paratha recipe with step by step photos. A quick, healthy and tasty paratha made from kaddu (pumpkin), herbs and spices.
This kaddu ka paratha recipe is easy to prepare. as grated pumpkin is directly added to the flour. You just have to knead the dough along with herbs and spices. Then roll them and roast them.
This is a nutritious recipe as these flat breads are made from whole wheat flour and pumpkin. I usually add pumpkin in vegetable sambar or make pumpkin sambar or make dry sabzi from pumpkin.
This paratha recipe is a good way to start your day in a healthy way. At times I prepare parathas for breakfast and I do try to make it more nutritious by adding some veggies. I have shared quite a number of Paratha recipes on blog like:
These kaddu parathas can be served for breakfast or as a quick snack or even for lunch. You can serve these parathas with a raita or pickle.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 250 grams pumpkin (kaddu) - peeled and grated
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ½ inch ginger - grated or finely chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves - chopped
- salt - as required
- 1 tablespoon Ghee for kneading dough
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour - to dust the dough while rolling them.
- oil or ghee as required for roasting parathas
making paratha dough
- Rinse, peel and grate the pumpkin.
- Take 1 cup of whole wheat flour in a big plate (parat) or vessel.
- Add chopped green chilis, chopped coriander leaves, cumin seeds, carom seeds, grated ginger, garam masala powder, roasted cumin powder, grated pumpkin and salt in the flour.
- Mix everything very well. Start gathering all the mixture.
- Knead the dough. Don't add any water while kneading. the juices from the pumpkin is enough to knead the dough.
- If the dough becomes sticky, then add some more flour and knead again. If the dough is dry then add little water and knead again.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of ghee. Knead again into a soft dough.
- cover the dough and allow it to rest for 10 to 15 mins.
making kaddu ka paratha
- After 10 to 15 minutes Make lemon sized balls from the dough. Cover and keep aside.
- Add some whole wheat flour in a plate or bowl. Take one ball and roll over the wheat flour.
- Take the dough ball on the rolling board and begin to roll it with a rolling pin (belan). While rolling, dust some more flour if required.
- Roll to a small or medium sized paratha with the rolling pin (belan).
cooking kaddu paratha
- Place the rolled paratha on a hot tava or griddle.
- When one side is partly cooked (about ¼th) then flip it. Spread some oil or ghee on the partly cooked side.
- Also, press the sides of the paratha so that the edges are cooked well. now with the help of tongs or spatula flip the paratha again.
- Spread some oil or ghee on the side which is facing you. flip again a couple of times till the paratha are roasted well.
- Make all pumpkin paratha this way.
- Roast till the paratha is cooked well and you see some golden or brown spots on the paratha. You can stack the parathas in a roti basket or casserole.
- Serve the kaddu ka paratha warm with pickle or curd.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Preparation to make pumpkin paratha
1. Rinse and peel 250 grams of (kaddu) pumpkin.
2. Then grate the pumpkin. You should get about 1 cup of grated pumpkin.
3. Keep all the spice powders and other ingredients ready for making kaddu paratha.
Making pumpkin paratha dough
4. Take 1 cup of whole wheat flour in a big plate (parat) or vessel.
5. Add 1 to 2 finely chopped green chilies, ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves, ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera), ¼ carom seeds (ajwain) and ½ inch grated ginger (adrak). If you do not have green chilies then you can substitute with ½ teaspoon red chili powder .
6. next add ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder) and salt as required.
7. Also add grated pumpkin.
8. Mix everything very well.
9. Start gathering all the mixture and begin to knead to a dough. don’t add any water while kneading. The juices from the pumpkin is enough to knead the dough. If the dough becomes sticky, then add some more flour and knead again. If the dough is dry then add little water and knead again.
10. now add 1 tablespoon of ghee.
11. Knead again into a soft dough.
12. Allow the dough to rest for 10 to 15 mins. You can cover the dough with a cotton cloth or cover the bowl with a lid.
13. After 10 to 15 minutes, remove the lid or cotton cloth.
Making pumpkin paratha
15. Make lemon sized balls. I got eight balls from the dough. Cover the dough balls and keep aside.
16. Add some whole wheat flour in a dish or a bowl.
17. Take one ball and roll over the whole wheat flour.
18. Take the dough ball on the rolling board and begin to roll it with a rolling pin (belan). while rolling, dust some more flour if required.
19. Roll to a small or a medium sized paratha with the rolling pin (belan).
Cooking pumpkin paratha
20. Place the rolled pumpkin paratha on a hot tava or griddle. Fry the parathas on medium flame.
21. When one side is partly cooked (about ¼th) then flip it.
22. Spread some oil or ghee on the partly cooked side.
23. Now with the help of tongs or spatula flip the pumpkin paratha again.
24. Spread some oil or ghee on the side which is facing you.
25. Also press the sides of the kaddu paratha so that the edges are cooked well.
26. Flip again a couple of times till the kaddu paratha is roasted well.
27. Roast till the pumpkin paratha is cooked well and you see some golden or brown spots on the paratha.
28. You can stack the kaddu paratha in a roti basket or casserole.
29. In a similar manner make the rest of pumpkin parathas.
30. Serve the pumpkin paratha warm with a side accompaniment of aloo sabzi or mango pickle.