Cherry tomato salad with step by step pics. One of the easiest summery salad that can be made is this cherry tomato salad – tangy, tart, colorful and so good. If you love tangy food you will also like this awesome cherry tomato salad.
During summers our meals mostly comprise of salads or light meals. Salads are easy to make and light on the stomach as well – refreshing, easy to assemble and make. I will be sharing a few easy salad recipes and some milkshakes this summer. I have got many requests for a few salad varieties, soups and milkshakes. So will be sharing them one by one.
This Cherry Tomato Salad is
- Simple and easy to make with spot on flavors.
- Makes for a healthy side dish with any meal be it Indian, American, european or continental.
- Raw, vegan and gluten-free.
- Easy to digest, gut-friendly and light on the tummy.
Elements in this cherry tomato salad are
- Cherry tomatoes, of course – though you can even use small tomatoes or grape tomatoes.
- Herbs – both fresh or dried herbs can be used. Basil gives a really good flavor, so don’t forgot to add these. I have used dried herbs and have added my favorites – basil and parsley. I did not have fresh herbs when I took the pictures. Though let me tell you that I have made this salad recipe a few times with fresh basil and the aroma & flavor with fresh basil is simply superb. Yes, of course, You can add your favorite herbs too. so pick your favorite herbs and add them.
- Extra virgin olive oil (evoo) – for that peppery and grassy flavor. If you do not have evoo then even a plain olive oil will do. A neutral flavored oil can also be used but with olive oil the salad tastes better.
- Vinegar – to get that sour acidic taste. Use red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar. I have used Organic apple cider with the ‘mother’. this apple cider vinegar is nothing but raw, unrefined apple cider vinegar which has not been pasteurized. The ‘mother’ here are gut-friendly bacteria that are actually used when making apple cider vinegar, but removed in many packaged apple cider vinegar as they give a cloudy appearance. Apple cider vinegar with mother is easily available both in stores and online.
- Sugar – just a teeny weeny bit of unrefined cane sugar, to balance the sour and tang and bring harmony in the dish. You can even add other sweeteners like palm sugar, coconut sugar or honey. You can even completely skip the sugar if the cherry tomatoes are sweeter.
- Garlic – a bit of garlic to give that faint pungency in the salad.
How to make cherry tomato salad
1. Rinse 200 grams cherry tomatoes very well. Drain all the water and let the tomatoes dry naturally for some minutes. You can spread the tomatoes in a tray or board for drying. You can even wipe the tomatoes with a clean cotton napkin. Usually, I rinse the tomatoes an hour before and then spread them in a plate. Once they the water dries, then I keep them in a bowl covered with lid.
2. Halve the cherry tomatoes which are bigger in size keeping the smaller ones intact.
Making oil & vinegar dressing
3. In a mixing bowl take 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar. You can use red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar or white vinegar instead.
4. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon dried basil and ½ teaspoon dried parsley. You can even add ½ tablespoon chopped fresh basil and ½ tablespoon chopped fresh parsley. Add ¼ teaspoon sugar or add as required and ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper or black pepper powder. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required.
5. Add 1 small garlic clove which has been minced or crushed.
6. Whisk briskly so that the spices, herbs, oil, sugar, salt and vinegar are mixed evenly.
Making cherry tomato salad
7. Add the halved cherry tomatoes.
8. Toss and mix so that the dressing coats the cherry tomatoes.
9. Serve cherry tomato salad immediately. Salads are best served fresh, especially tomato salads. If you are unable to do so, then refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours and serve later. However, on refrigeration, the taste of the tomato salad does change. While serving you can even add some grated parmesan cheese.
Few more Salad recipes for you!
Cherry Tomato Salad
for oil & vinegar dressing
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar with mother - red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar or white vinegar can also be added instead
- ½ teaspoon dried basil or ½ tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley or ½ tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon unrefined cane sugar or white sugar - add as per taste, optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper or black pepper powder - add as required
- 200 grams cherry tomato
- Rinse the cherry tomatoes very well.
- Drain all the water and let the water on them dry naturally for some minutes.
- Then halve the cherry tomatoes which are bigger in size keeping the smaller ones intact.
making oil & vinegar dressing
- In a mixing bowl take the extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Sprinkle the herbs, sugar, salt and crushed black pepper or black pepper powder.
- Add minced or crushed garlic.
- Whisk briskly so that the spices, herbs, oil, vinegar, salt and sugar are mixed evenly.
making cherry tomato salad
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes.
- Toss and mix so that the dressing coats the cherry tomatoes.
- Serve cherry tomato salad immediately. Salads are best served fresh, especially tomato salads. If you are unable to do so, then refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours and serve later. however, on refrigeration, the taste of the tomato salad does change.
- While serving you can even add some grated parmesan cheese. You can even sprinkle some herbs while serving.
- You can add more or less herbs.
- Sugar can be skipped completely.
- Instead of sugar you can also add other sweeteners like coconut sugar, palm sugar or honey.
- Grape tomatoes or small tomatoes can be replaced with cherry tomatoes.