arbi roast recipe with step by step photos – a south indian style colocasia or taro root roast recipe. arbi is also called as seppankizhangu in tamil language.
whenever i make sambar, i always make a side veggie dish like poriyal, thoran or a roast. in fact a roast from any veggie is easy to prepare. usually i make mushroom roast, potato roast and this arbi roast.
this no onion no garlic arbi recipe is easy to prepare. the only time taken is in rinsing the taro roots, steaming and peeling them. once this done, the rest of the recipe is quick. to make this recipe gluten free, skip asafoetida.
if you are looking for more arbi recipes then do check:
arbi roast recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR arbi roast recipe
- 250 grams arbi (colocasia roots or seppankizhangu) - boiled and peeled
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 or 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon sambar powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 2.5 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta) - optional
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE arbi roast recipe
preparation for arbi roast recipe
- first rinse 250 grams arbi (colocasia roots) very well in running water.
- then drain and steam them in a pressure cooker or electric cooker or steamer till they softened. arbi should be cooked completely, buy not mushy.
- once they are warm, then peel them. slice them into rounds.
making arbi roast
- heat oil in a frying pan. lower the flame. add 1 tsp mustard seeds and crackle them.
- then add broken dry red chilies, 7 to 8 curry leaves and a generous pinch of asafoetida.
- stir and saute for half a minute or till the chilies change color.
- add the sliced arbi. stir very well.
- sprinkle 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder and 1/2 tsp sambar powder. if you don't have sambar powder, then add 1/4 tsp coriander powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala powder.
- add 1 tbsp rice flour. stir again very well so that the spice powders and rice flour are evenly mixed. add salt as required.
- stir again and on a low flame, roast the arbi roots till they get start getting crisp and golden. turn over and roast the other side too.
- once the arbi pieces are roasted and golden, then sprinkle 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. mix well.
- if you like a little tang, then add 1 tsp lime juice or dry mango powder and stir well.
- serve arbi roast with sambar-rice, rasam-rice or dal-rice.
- arbi or colocasia roots - potatoes, baby potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp sambar powder - 1/4 tsp coriander powder + 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
lets start step by step arbi roast recipe
1. first rinse 250 grams arbi/colocasia roots very well in running water. then drain and steam them in a pressure cooker or electric cooker or a steamer till they are softened. the taro roots should be cooked completely, buy not mushy. if cooking in a pressure cooker, then cook for 2 to 3 whistles. to check doneness, a knife should easily slid in the taro roots.
2. peel them once they become warm.
3. slice them into rounds.
4. heat 2.5 tbsp oil in a frying pan. lower the flame. add 1 tsp mustard seeds and crackle them.
5. then add 1 to 2 broken dry red chilies, 7 to 8 curry leaves and a generous pinch of asafoetida. stir and saute for half a minute or till the chilies change color.
6. add the sliced arbi.
7. stir very well.
9. add 1 tbsp rice flour. if you don’t have rice flour, then skip it.
10. stir again very well so that the spice powders and rice flour are evenly mixed.
11. add salt as required.
12. stir again and on a low flame, roast the arbi roots till they get start getting crisp and golden. turn over and roast the other side too.
13. here the colocasia roots are done. i cooked for about 10 minutes on a low flame, turning each arbi slice at intervals for even roasting and browning.
14. this step is optional and only if you like coriander leaves. sprinkle 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and stir. if you like a little tang, then add 1 tsp lime juice or dry mango powder and stir well.