Whether an apple a day keeps the doctor away or not, this Apple Smoothie will definitely keep those hunger pangs away, that too in a wholesome way. This delicious, healthy Apple Smoothie recipe has just 3 ingredients – fresh apples, coconut milk and cinnamon. Thus, is vegan and gluten-free too. Drink it post workout or enjoy it as a meal, the choice is yours!
Table of Contents
About Apple Smoothie
I have used coconut milk in this Apple Smoothie recipe, which makes it vegan. Other choices of vegan milk that you can use are non-GMO soy milk, almond milk and cashew milk. I also prefer adding the cinnamon as it brings a nice flavor and aroma in the smoothie.
It is a no-brainer that sweet apples work the best for smoothies and milkshakes and that you should use the same for this Apple Smoothie recipe too. Sour or tart apples are thus, a big no. Also, as you are using sweet apples, you can skip adding any extra sweetener in this beverage.
Vendors selling apples in the market cover the fruits with wax and they usually have a lot of pesticides on them too. Hence, I opt for the organic produce.
In case you can’t source organic apples, you can clean the regular apples in this way: soak apples in a vinegar-water mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, and thoroughly wash them. Add 1 part of vinegar to 3 parts of water.
How to make Apple Smoothie
1. Rinse 2 large organic apples and peel them. Quarter and then remove the seeds and pith. Then, chop the apples in chunks.
2. Take the chopped apples in a blender jar.
3. Add 1 pinch ground cinnamon powder.
4. Pour ½ cup of lite coconut milk or coconut milk which has a thin or medium consistency.
You can also use almond milk instead of coconut milk. If you want, you can add some sweetener like cane sugar, jaggery, palm sugar, maple syrup or coconut sugar.
5. Blend till smooth.
6. Pour straight away in glasses and serve Apple Smoothie immediately. Do not keep for a long time as then the smoothie turns dark due to oxidation. While serving, you can add a pinch of ground cinnamon or top with some chopped apples.
Enjoy this Apple Smoothie as a healthy breakfast, light lunch or a snack.
The right choice of milk
It is best to consume fresh fruits in the way they are available in nature. But it also is a great thing to make Smoothies and Milkshakes with them. Going on the same lines, I often make this Apple Smoothie too because it is super easy, vegan and healthy too.
As Ayurveda (the ancient system of Indian medicine) says that some fruits are incompatible with dairy milk and must be avoided that way, I use almond milk and coconut milk for most of my fruit-based smoothies. Consuming fruit beverages made with regular milk may cause bloating, gas and other digestion problems.
So, it is best to avoid it and go for the nutritious, natural and plant-based milks for your drinks.
- Make sure you chop the fresh apples just before you start with this Apple Smoothie recipe, or else they will discolor due to oxidation.
- Pick sweet apples for this smoothie and not sour or tangy ones.
- Instead of cinnamon, you can add any other flavoring like green cardamom powder or vanilla.
- You can add sweetener of your choice depending upon the level of sweetness you want in the smoothie – cane sugar, jaggery, maple syrup, honey, palm sugar and coconut sugar are your choices.
- You can convert this smoothie into a smoothie bowl. Just make the smoothie a little thicker than the usual and have it with your favorite toppings like granola, nuts, other fruits, coconut flakes, seeds, etc.
- Add some protein powder to make this smoothie more healthier.
I suggest that you peel the apples and use in this smoothie because not doing so may change the texture of the drink. However, if you choose to use unpeeled apples, it will definitely make the smoothie more nutritious but the apples peels can have pesticides residues on them.
Yes, you can. But make sure to check the sweetness of the apples first and then add the sugar depending upon how sweet you want the smoothie to be.
The smoothie turned dark due to oxidation which is a common phenomenon in apples.
Yes, you can make this smoothie with frozen apple.
No, it is not. But I suggest you do because apple and cinnamon is one of the most delicious flavor combinations.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Apple Smoothie Recipe
- 2 apples – large, preferably organic
- ½ cup Coconut Milk – thin or medium consistency or lite coconut milk
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon – optional
- Rinse the apples and then peel them. Quarter them and remove the seeds.
- Take the chopped apples in a blender jar.
- Add the ground cinnamon powder and coconut milk.
- Blend till smooth and fine. If you prefer a slightly thinner consistency, add some more coconut milk or a bit of water.
- Pour straight away in glasses and serve Apple Smoothie immediately. Do not keep for a long time as then the smoothie turns dark due to oxidation.
- Use sweet tasting apples to make the smoothie.
- Plant based milk like cashew milk, oat milk, almond milk and GMO free soy milk all work well in the recipe.
- Opt to skip the flavorings like ground cinnamon if you prefer or add your favorite flavorings. Some options to consider are vanilla extract, a pinch of grated or ground nutmeg, green cardamom powder.
- For a more healthier smoothie you can add some protein powder while blending the apples and coconut milk.
- Omit adding the sweetener according to your preferences or use your favorite sweetener.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Apple Smoothie recipe post is from the archives first published in January 2018 and has been republished and updated on 24 May 2022.