Paneer tikki recipe With step by step photos – An Easy and quick recipe for making paneer patties.
This aloo paneer tikki recipe is very simple, quick and has both paneer and potatoes. If you do not have paneer, it alright. I made the same recipe minus paneer and it was great.
Paneer tikki is a very popular Indian dish. the Indian tikki is same as the western patty that is used in burgers. It is just that the ingredients that are used are different.
In north India, Aloo tikki is served as a chaat, commonly known aloo tikki chole chaat. Here the aloo tikki is served with Punjabi chana masala and topped with curd, sweet chutney and green chutney. You could have aloo tikki plain or even with tomato sauce and bread. It can be had as a breakfast, brunch or an evening snack.
Tips for making aloo paneer tikki
- Adding salt in the aloo when boiling them, makes sure that the salt seeps into the aloo.
- The aloo have to be really boiled well. To check if they are boiled properly, insert a fork or a knife in a potato. If the fork passes smoothly, it shows that the potato are cooked. If not, then you may need to boil for some more time.
- For easy mashing, grate the aloo. When you grate the aloo, it becomes easier to mash them. You could also use a food processor to mash the aloo.
- For binding, I have used cornflour. But one can also use soaked bread, maida (all purpose flour), buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) or even water-chestnut flour (singhare ka atta).
- If you have leftover boiled potatoes, you can use them.
How to make paneer tikki or paneer patties
1. Boil 4 large sized potatoes with some salt and water in a pressure cooker or microwave oven.
2. Allow the potatoes to cool and then peel them.
3. Mash the potatoes.
4. Crumble 125 grams paneer (cottage cheese) and add it to the mashed aloo.
5. Add ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed pepper, 1 tablespoon cornflour and salt as required.
6. Mix the mixture really well. There should be no lumps. the mixture should be smooth and pliable. if the mixture is slightly loose, then add some more cornflour. Cornflour binds the aloo mixture. So when you fry the tikkis in oil, they do not crumble. check the taste and add more seasoning of pepper and salt, if required.
7. Now take some portion of the mixture in your hands. Shape them into balls and then flatten them. Make even sized tikkis of the entire mixture.
Frying paneer tikki
8. On a non-stick tava, smear some ghee or oil.
9. Place the paneer tikkis on the tava on a medium flame.
10. Fry the paneer tikki till they turn golden brown.
11. You can even shallow fry or deep fry. If deep or shallow frying the paneer patties, then use oil and not ghee. If you are using a non stick tava, then you can use ghee or butter.
12. When browned and crisp from both sides, you can remove paneer tikki from pan. Place the fried tikkis on absorbent napkins to absorb excess oil if any.
Serve Paneer tikki with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
If you are looking for more Paneer snacks recipes Then do check
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
paneer tikki recipe
- 4 to 5 large sized potatoes (aloo)
- 125 grams cottage cheese (paneer)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or freshly crushed pepper (kali mirch powder)
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- oil for frying paneer tikki
- Boil 4 large sized potatoes with some salt and water in a pressure cooker or microwave oven.
- Allow the potatoes to cool. Then peel them and mash the potatoes.
making paneer patties
- Crumble 125 grams paneer (cottage cheese) and add it to the mashed aloo.
- Also add black pepper powder (or crushed pepper), cornflour and salt as required.
- Mix the mixture really well. There should be no lumps. The mixture should be smooth and pliable. If the mixture is slightly loose, then add some more cornflour. Cornflour binds the potato mixture. So when you fry the paneer tikkis in oil, they do not crumble.
- Check the taste. Add more seasoning of pepper and salt, if required.
- Now take a some portion of the mixture in your hands. Shape them into balls and then flatten them. Make even sized paneer tikkis of the entire mixture.
frying paneer patties
- On a non-stick tava, smear some ghee or oil. Place the paneer patties on the tava and on a medium flame fry the paneer patties till they turn golden brown.
- You can even shallow fry or deep fry the paneer patties. If deep or shallow frying then use oil and not ghee. If you are using a non stick tava, then you can use ghee or butter.
- When browned and crisp from both sides, you can remove paneer tikki from the pan. place the fried tikkis on absorbent napkins to absorb excess oil if any.
- Serve paneer patties with tomato ketchup or mint chutney.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.