bharwan aloo baingan recipe with step by step photos – one easy recipe of bharwan aloo baingan or stuffed brinjals with potatoes.
this punjabi aloo baingan recipe is a family recipe. here the baingan is stuffed with a spice powder mix and not any veggies. its the spice blend which gives the dish its taste and flavor. the recipe is also made without onions and garlic. so its just the spices, brinjals and potatoes. simple but flavorful.
eggplant also known as brinjal in india and baingan in hindi is a favorite veggie at home. we like it in all forms fried, stuffed, mashed. there is a very popular recipe in india of mashed spiced eggplant known as baingan bharta. there are many variations of this popular dish and i have already shared punjabi baingan bharta & maharashtrian vangi bharit.
there are different varieties of baingan/eggplant that we get. you can use the small baingan or the medium ones. i have used small purple baingan for this recipe. you could use the green or white ones too. i have added normal potatoes but you can add baby potatoes too.
stuffed or bharwan aloo baingan recipe below:
bharwan aloo baingan recipe - small brinjals stuffed with a spice mix and sauteed with potatoes.
- 250 grams small brinjals or eggplants, about medium green baingan/eggplants or 18 to 20 small brinjals
- 250 grams regular potatoes or baby potatoes, about 2 to 3 medium potatoes or 15 to 18 baby potatoes
- ½ tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 tsp salt or add as required
- 2 tbsp oil
- firstly, mix all the six spice powders along with salt – garam masala powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and amchur (dried mango) powder and salt. keep aside.
rinse the baingan or brinjals and dry them with the kitchen towel. slice off the stem from the brinjals.
slit each baingan into 4 parts taking care that you don’t cut the entire baingan. stuff the baingan with the spice powder mixture evenly. keep all the stuffed baingan aside.
- peel and dice the potatoes. if using baby potatoes then chop if they are medium sized. If they are small, then just keep them whole with or with the peel.
in a wok or kadai or heavy bottomed pan. add the oil.
then add the chopped potatoes. saute the potatoes till they change colour and get lightly browned from the edges.
- add the stuffed baingan, stir and saute the baingan for a minute. then cover the pan and cook the baingan on a low flame.
- check a couple of times and stir the veggies. cover and then continue to cook.
- once the brinjals are cooked and softened, add the remaining spice powder mix.
- stir well and saute for a minute. check the taste and add more salt if required.
- serve bharwan aloo baingan hot with phulkas.
step by step bharwan aloo baingan recipe:
1. first take all the spice powders in a small plate or bowl – ½ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder,1 tsp dry mango powder and 1 tsp salt.
2. mix the spice powders & salt very well with a spoon. keep aside.
3. rinse and wipe dry the brinjals.
4. slit each brinjals four ways, from the base or top keeping a few centimeters gap. so that the brinjals stay whole and are not completely chopped through.
5. now stuff the mixed spice powder or masala in the brinjal very well. some of the masala powder will remain and we will add it right at the end in the dish.
6. stuff all the brinjals this way. keep aside.
7. in a kadai or pan, heat 2 tbsp oil. add diced potatoes.
8. on a low to medium flame, saute the potatoes, stirring occasionally.
9. saute till the potatoes have lightly browned from the edges.
10. now add the stuffed brinjals.
11. stir well and saute the brinjals for a minute. then cover the pan and allow the brinjals too cook on a low flame. no need to add water while cooking the brinjals.
12. after 4 to 5 minutes, remove the lid and stir the veggies again. cover and allow to cook again. you will have to check once or twice to see if the brinjals have softened or not.
13. once the brinjals are softened, add the remaining leftover spice powder mix on top. stir and saute for two minutes. here you can also add more salt as per your taste.
This post was last modified on April 12, 2017, 10:26 pm