whole wheat naan recipe - the naan is a beautiful leavened flat bread. this whole wheat naan recipe is made with yeast. i have already posted naan recipe made without yeast and garlic naan recipe. there is one more naan recipe with yeast where the naans have really puffed up like pita breads.
do i have to tell anything more about this bread? nah…. so directly moving to a wholesome healthy naan made from whole wheat flour.
lets start step by step whole wheat naan recipe with yeast:
1: first we need to proof the yeast. mix warm water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl. cover and keep in a warm place for 10 minutes or so till the mixture rises. remember the water has to be warm. if you dip your little finger in water, it should not scorch or feel hot to you. it should given you a warm feeling without feeling hot. if the water is hot, it will kill the yeast and if its cool, the yeast won’t become active.
2: add whole wheat flour and salt in a sieve.
3: sift these into a large bowl.
4: add curd and ghee.
5: add the yeast mixture.
6: mix to a soft dough and then knead for about 5 minutes till the dough is smooth.
7: apply some oil or ghee to the dough from all sides.
8: keep the dough in bowl large enough to facilitate the doubling process. cover the bowl with a lid and keep it in a warm place for 1.5 hours or more till the dough has doubled in size.
9: after 1.5 or 2 hours, punch down the dough and then knead for 5 minutes.
10: divide the dough into medium sized balls and keep aside. take one ball of the dough on a floured surface.
11: roll the dough to a 6-7 inches circle.
12: now from one side slightly pull the dough to give the naan its oblong triangular shape.
13: sprinkle on top kalonji/nigella seeds and then with the rolling pin just roll on the naan so that the nigella seeds get embedded in the naan.
14: bake the naan on a greased tray in a preheated oven for 180 degrees celsius for 3-4 minutes. i did not have to turn the naans whilst baking them. but if need be then do turn the naans whilst baking. once the whole wheat naans are browned and done, remove from the oven and apply some butter or ghee on the naan.
16: the whole wheat naans were incredibly soft from within and crisp from outside. not at all rubbery or hard like the restaurant naans.
whole wheat naan recipe with yeast below:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp melted ghee or oil
- 2 tbsp curd/yogurt
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 tsp kalonji seeds/nigella seeds or white sesame seeds or both
- some butter or ghee for applying on the naan
- mix warm water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl.
- cover and keep in a warm place for 10 minutes or so till the mixture rises.
- sieve wheat flour and salt together.
- add curd, ghee and yeast mixture.
- mix and then knead into a smooth and elastic dough.
- apply oil or ghee to all the sides of the dough
- keep the dough in a large bowl covered with a lid in a warm place for 1.5 or 2 hours or more till the dough rises and doubles in size.
- punch the dough and then knead for 5 minutes.
- divide into medium sized balls and keep aside.
- roll each ball into a 6-7 inch circles and pull from one side to give a triangular oblong shape.
- sprinkle kalonji or sesame seeds on top.
- roll over the rolling pin so that the seeds get embedded in the naan.
- bake the whole wheat naan on a greased tray in a preheated oven for 180 degrees celsius for 3-4 minutes or more till you see golden spots on the naan.
- remove and apply some ghee or butter on top of the naan.
- serve the whole wheat naan hot with any rich curry dish.
1. if the naan dough feels dry, then add some more lukewarm water.
2. these naans can also be made without an oven. just cook it the way you make phulkas.
3. i made the naans both in the oven and on fire and the ones cooked liked phulkas on the fire were much better as they got a burnt taste and flavor.