easy naan bread recipe without yeast on tawa or stove top - soft textured delicious naan bread made with whole wheat flour (atta) and all purpose flour (maida).
Prep Time2 hrs 20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time2 hrs 50 mins
Servings: 11 to 12 naan
dry ingredients to be sieved for naan recipe
- 3 cups flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour (atta) + 1 cup all purpose flour (maida) Or half-half of both or just 3 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch baking soda or 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- salt as required
wet ingredients to be mixed for naan recipe
- 3 tablespoon yogurt (dahi or curd) dairy or vegan, (i used cashew yogurt)
- 2 tablespoon milk (dairy milk or vegan option like soy milk or cashew milk or almond milk).
- ⅔ or ¾ cup water or add as required
- 2 teaspoon sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar
additional ingredients for naan
- 3 tablespoon oil for kneading in the dough
- 1 tablespoon mix of onion seeds (kalonji) and melon seeds (magaz) or sesame seeds
- oil or ghee or butter as required for applying on the naan (optional)
kneading dough for naan recipe
mix water, milk and yogurt. stir in the sugar in the above mixture.
sieve the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
mix the flour with the wet ingredients that we made first.
knead to make a smooth dough. if the dough looks dry then add some water and knead again. the dough should be smooth and soft.
cover with a wet cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes. after 10 minutes, add oil and knead the dough again.
cover with the same wet cloth and keep aside for 2 hours, till the dough leavens and rises.
make medium sized balls of the dough.
roll in a small circle and sprinkle some onion seeds on the dough.
roll into a four or five inches round circle.
if you want you can stretch the dough to one side to give a tear shape to the naan.
on a hot tava (griddle or stove top), place the naan
partly cook both the sides of the naan on the tava.
then place the naan bread with the help of tongs on fire
and cook both the sides till they get browned and slightly charred.
when done then remove the naan and apply some butter, ghee or oil on the naan. you can have them plain also.
serve the naan hot or warm with any paneer or vegetable curry or even with dal.
- the number of pieces will vary depending on the size and thickness of the naan. approx 14 to 16 medium sized naan can be made.
- alternatively, you can also cook the naan bread in a tandoor or bake them. place the naan bread for baking on a greased hot tray or stone and bake in a preheated oven at your ovens highest temperature.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 242mg | Potassium: 185mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 0.1% | Calcium: 4.9% | Iron: 7.1%