varan bhaat recipe for ganesh chaturthi – varan bhaat is an important dish which is made during ganesh chaturthi festival in maharashtra. there are many variations of making varan bhaat recipe. this recipe is a maharashtrian recipe of making varan bhaat which was shared by my friend.
for my international readers, varan bhaat would read as lentil-rice where varan stands for lentil curry or stew or dal and bhaat means steamed rice.
varan bhaat is served as naivedyam or bhog to lord ganesha along with vegetable dishes like batata (potato) bhaji or beans bhaji, snacks like alu vadi, potato pakora (batata bhajji) & sweets like puran poli, patholi, ladoos and modak. modak is one of the most favorite food of lord ganesh.
if you are planning to make modaks for ganesh chaturthi festival then you can check ukadiche modak (most popular modak made from rice flour), fried modak, dry fruits modak and this easy rava modak recipe.
this varan bhaat recipe is very simple and easy to make. this is a tempered version of varan. for the festival, skip garlic and if preparing on regular days, then you can add garlic in the tempering. i already have a goan style varan bhaat recipe posted on the blog where coconut is added. so you can take your pick.
varan goes best with steamed rice topped with some ghee.
varan bhaat recipe below:
varan bhaat recipe for ganesh chaturthi festival
varan bhaat recipe - delicious lentil stew or dal made with pigeon pea lentils and served with rice.
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup arhar dal (tuvar dal or pigeon pea lentils)
- 2 cups water for pressure cooking the lentils
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped or ¾ cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt as required
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 pinch asafeotida (hing)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves (lahsun), crushed or finely chopped (OPTIONAL)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, slit (hari mirch)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons ghee OR 2 tablespoons oil
for the bhaat or steamed rice:
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water for pressure cooking
- salt as required (OPTIONAL)
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
for the varan:
- rinse the lentils well in water.
- pressure cook the lentils with tomatoes and turmeric powder for 7-8 whistles on medium to high flame.
- when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and mash the dal with a wired whisk or wooden spoon.
add water as required only if the dal looks thick.
if adding water, then keep to simmer on low flame till you get the desired consistency, which is neither thick nor thin.
- switch off and keep covered.
- heat oil or ghee in a pan.
add the mustard seeds first and let them crackle.
- then add the cumin and crackle them.
add the asafoetida, curry leaves, garlic (optional) and green chilies.
- fry till the garlic gets light browned and the curry leaves become crisp.
- pour the whole tempering in the dal.
- cover and let the tempering flavors infuse with the dal for about 5-6 minutes.
- garnish varan bhaat with coriander leaves or stir in the coriander leaves.
- serve varan bhaat hot with steamed rice.
for the bhaat or steamed rice:
- rinse the rice till the water clears from the starch.
- soak the rice for 20-30 mins.
drain and then pressure cook the rice with 2 cups water for 2-3 whistles.
for separate grains just add 1.5 cups water and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.
for a more softer texture add 2.5 cups water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- serve the bhaat or steamed rice with the varan.
you can also add 1 or 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut toward the end in this varan recipe.