sweet potato tikki – one more recipe for the navratri fast or vrat. sweet potato tikki or patties is very easy to make and does not require much effort and time, especially on days when we fast.
so when you get bored of having potatoes, then sweet potato is a welcome change.
if you like potatoes, then you can make the same recipe with potatoes. whether with sweet potatoes or potatoes, these tikkis are delicious. another tikki recipe which you can make during fasting days is arbi tikki or arbi patties.
for binding the tikkis, i have used arrowroot flour. if you cannot get arrowroot flour, you can use water chestnut flour or buckwheat flour. when making during a non fasting season, you can add corn flour.
sweet potato tikki recipe details below:
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp ginger - green chilli paste
- 1 or 2 tbsp arrow root flour, water chestnut flour or buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp amchur powder or dry mango powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp crushed roasted cumin or cumin powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- rock salt or black salt as required
- oil for frying
- rinse the sweet potatoes well in water.
- roast them in the oven till they are cooked and soft.
- or else pressure cook with enough water & salt till they become soft.
- you can also boil them in a pan with water & salt.
- drain the water.
- when they cool down, peel.
- with a potato masher mash the sweet potatoes well.
- add all the ingredients except oil.
- mix well.
- shape into medium sized tikkis or patties.
- pan fry with little oil till both the sides are browned.
- while serving garnish with some coriander leaves.
- serve sweet potato tikki with a chutney or sauce.
when making for fast, please add sendha namak/rock salt.
if you cannot get dry mango powder, then just add lemon juice.
the spice powders and lemon juice can be adjusted to your taste preferences.
Follow us on Social Media