spring onion soup recipe – this is again one of those easy soup recipes. when i make soups at home, we generally prefer pureed and slightly thick soups rather than thin clear soups.
here in this soup, apart from spring onions i have used one potato to thicken the soup. the soup is again made with minimal ingredients so as to bring out the best of spring onions.
this spring onion soup can be served as a starter or as a side dish. you can also serve the soup with some french loaf or baguette or even a pasta. another recipe, which can be made with spring onions is spring onions fritters.
spring onions soup recipe below:
- 1 bunch spring onions, rinsed and chopped, approx 4 or 4.5 cups chopped spring onions with both whites and greens (reserve a few greens for garnish)
- 1 medium or large potato, peeled and chopped in smaller pieces
- 1 or 2 garlic, chopped
- ½ or 1 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp dry oregano
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper as required
- few parsley leaves for garnish (optional)
- heat olive oil in a pot. fry the garlic for 10-12 seconds.
- add the spring onions and saute for 4-5 minutes on a low flame.
- now add the chopped potatoes. season with salt and pepper. stir well.
- pour water and stir again. cover the pot and simmer till the potatoes are cooked completely on a low to medium flame.
- let the soup cool down a bit. with a hand blender, blend the soup till smooth. the soup will appear thick now.
- add soy sauce, oregano and keep the soup to simmer for 4-5 minutes,
- if the soup appears too thick, then you can add about ¼ or ½ cup water or veg stock, while simmering the soup.
- serve spring onion soup hot, plain or with some bread garnished with some spring onion greens or parsley.