sabudana kheer recipe with step by step photos – we generally make sabudana kheer during the navratri festival or during some of the fasting or vrat days. this is a popular indian pudding that is made with tapioca pearls for religious fasting days.
since sabudana or sago is an ingredient that is a part of fasting food, we make a lot of snacks with it like sabudana khichdi, sabudana vada, sabudana tikki, sabudana thalipeeth and sabudana ladoo etc. you can also check this compiled list of navratri recipes and vrat rules.
this sabudana kheer is very easy to make. i remember that sabudana kheer was my mom’s favorite kheer and she would make this kheer often… and this is my mom’s recipe which she has been making for many years now.
this is a creamy smooth kheer. just remember to cook the sabudana pearls very well. once cooked, they should not give you any resistance when you bite into these pearls.
the sabudana kheer naturally thickens after cooling, so keep in mind the consistency you want in case you want to serve it cold. sabudana kheer is easy to digest too.
sabudana kheer recipe details below:
- ½ cup sabudana or tapioca pearls - for a denser kheer, you can add ⅔ to ¾ cup sabudana
- 2 cups organic milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 to 5 tbsp organic unrefined cane sugar or as required
- 4-5 green cardamoms,husked and crushed in a mortar-pestle to a semi fine powder
- 2 tbsp chopped cashews
- ½ tbsp raisins
- 3-4 saffron strands/kesar (optional)
- rinse the sabudana pearls till the water runs clear of the starch.
- take a thick bottomed pan or sauce pan in which you will be making the kheer.
- add the rinsed sabudana pearls and water in the pan.
- cover and let the pearls get soaked in the water for 15-20 minutes.
- later keep this pan on the stove top and begin to cook the pearls.
- meanwhile heat or warm the milk too. no need to boil the milk.
- after 4-5 minutes, add the milk to the pan and continue to cook.
- add sugar and cardamom powder and simmer till the pearls have cooked well for about 20-25 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- keep on stirring occasionally.
- switch off the fire and add cashews and raisins.
- garnish the sabudana kheer with saffron strands.
- serve sabudana kheer hot or warm or cold.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
lets start step by step sabudana kheer recipe:
1. rinse the sabudana pearls for few times in running water till the water runs clear. soak sabudana pearls in water for 15-20 minutes in a thick bottomed pan or sauce pan.
2. place this pan on fire and allow to cook the sabudana pearls till you see all of them starting to float on top… coming from the bottom. they loose their denseness and become light. the opaqueness in the sabudana pearls gives way to translucency and they start swelling up. this takes about 5-6 minutes on a low to medium flame.
3. next add milk and the cardamom powder and stir.
4. add sugar.
5. continue to simmer till the sabudana pearls have cooked well and the sabudana kheer has thickened. about 20-25 minutes on a low to medium flame. some of the pearls would break too and also help in thickening of the sabudana kheer. these pearls are plain starch and this helps in the thickening of the kheer. switch off the fire and add cashews and raisins.
serve the creamy sabudana kheer hot or warm or cold. if you want then you can garnish the sabudana kheer with saffron strands.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media