rava dosa is another popular south indian dosa variety. the best part of making rava dosa is that it does not require any fermentation and is very easy to make.
rava stands for suji or semolina. hence this dosa is named after one of its main ingredient. along with semolina, rice flour and all purpose flour are also added to the batter. you can make the rava dosa plain or you can spice it up by adding chopped onions, curry leaves, herbs and spices. another variation is this onion rava dosa recipe.
at home we prefer the rava dosa which has onions and some spices in them. so here i have added onions, ginger, green chili, cashews and some spices to the batter. this makes the dosa more healthy and tasty. rava dosa is crisp and has a netted texture. this texture and crispiness can be achieved if you make the batter thin.
so always remember that the batter for rava dosa should be thin and easy to flow. also allow some soaking time for rava or suji/semolina, so that they soften. i usually mix everything and keep the batter for 30-40 minutes.
when you make the first dosa then you will come to know whether you are getting the crisp and netted effect or not. if not then you will need to add some more water. instead of water you can also add butter milk to the batter.
here i am sharing my mom’s recipe of rava dosa. i have made a video. this is my first video. an amateur silent attempt on making recipe videos. hopefully i will improve with time and i also hope that this video helps you to make rava dosa easily at home.
rava dosa video below:
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
rava dosa recipe details below:
- ½ cup unroasted rava/suji/fine semolina
- ½ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup maida/all purpose flour
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- 1 medium sized onion/pyaaz, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger/adrak, finely chopped
- 8-9 curry leaves/kadi patta, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1.5 to 2 cups water or as required
- salt as required
- oil or ghee or butter for frying the dosa
- mix all the ingredients mentioned above except oil.
- keep aside for 30 to 40 minutes.
- heat the tava or non-stick pan. spread 1 or 2 tsp oil.
- if using non-stick pan then no need to spread oil.
- with a ladle pour the batter from the edges towards the center.
- sprinkle ½ or 1 tsp of oil from the top.
- let the base becomes golden or crisp. flip and cook the other side.
- when both the sides are cooked, remove the dosa from the pan. prepare all the dosas this way.
- serve the rava dosa hot with coconut chutney.
- rava dosa has to be served immediately.
- otherwise they become dry once they become cold.
- rava dosa is best had when they are hot.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media