rava dhokla recipe with step by step photos – this instant dhokla recipe i learnt when i was working in a school. the teacher colleagues were discussing how to make rava dhoka. when they were talking, my mind was registering all the details of this instant dhokla recipe.
when i went home, i told my mom the whole method and she made it the very next day. it was hit in our home and till today mom makes rava dhokla often. the recipe which we would make, used yogurt or buttermilk.
when i made the dhoklas, i did not have yogurt at hand and so substituted it with lemon juice and water. the lemon juice + water combo worked like a charm. there was no difference in the taste in the rava dhokla made with yogurt and this one.
this is an easy, quick and instant rava dhokla recipe and does not require fermentation. i have steamed the dhokla in an electric cooker. a dhokla steamer or even a pressure cooker works well for steaming the dhokla. you can also make the dhokla in a microwave. i have also shared khaman dhokla recipe in microwave, khatta dhokla and moong dal dhokla.
i suggest using eno or fruit salt to make the batter airy. this is because i don’t like the soapy odour of baking soda in dhoklas. however, if you cannot get eno or fruit salt, then use baking soda instead. this rava dhokla is a healthy snack option and goes best with a sweet coriander chutney or mint-coriander chutney.
instant rava dhokla recipe below:
- 2 cup fine sooji or rava or semolina (fine variety of sooji)
- ½ inch ginger + 1 green chili - crushed and made into a paste in a mortar-pestle
- 1 cup water or as required
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp sugar
- a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp or 1.25 tbsp lemon juice - from 1 medium sized lemon
- 1 tsp eno (fruit salt) or baking soda
- salt as required
- ½ tsp mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (safed til)
- 8-10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 to 3 tbsp water
- ½ tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 to 2 tbsp grated coconut (optional)
- mix all the ingredients mentioned under the list 'main ingredients' except for the fruit salt.
- the batter has to be slightly thicker than the idli batter.
- keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- meanwhile add 3-4 cups water in the steamer and heat it.
- grease a pan with oil. add the eno and stir briskly.
- don't over do as you don't want the air bubbles to escape.
- quickly pour the batter in the prepared pan.
- spread evenly and shake the pan to even out the batter.
- keep the pan in the steamer.
- cover the steamer and steam for approx 18-20 minutes.
- i used an electric steamer and steamed for exact 20 minutes.
- check with a tooth pick to see the doneness and if the toothpick comes out clean, then the dhokla is ready.
- remove the dhokla and allow to cool for 5-6 minutes.
- you can temper directly or unmould the dhokla carefully in a serving plate and then slice and then temper it.
- heat oil in a small pan. first add the mustard seeds. let them pop first.
- then add cumin and allow to crackle them.
- add the the asafoetida, sesame seeds and curry leaves and fry for some seconds.
- switch off the flame. add 2-3 tbsp water in the tempering.
- be careful as the oil is hot and adding water would create a splurge. so add the water carefully.
- pour the tempering mixture evenly over the rava dhokla.
- top rava dhokla with some chopped coriander leaves or freshly grated coconut.
- slice and serve the rava dhokla warm or cool.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“. another option, is to occasionally show interest in our facebook page updates by liking, sharing or commenting in the facebook post. thanks for your continuous support and cooperation.
lets start step by step rava dhokla recipe:
1. mix all the ingredients – 2 cup rava/semolina (fine variety of sooji), ginger-chili paste (½ inch ginger + 1 green chili – crushed and made into a paste in a mortar-pestle), 1 tbsp or 1.25 tbsp lemon juice, ½ tsp sugar, salt as required and 1 cup water or as required. don’t add the the fruit salt. keep aside for 15-20 minutes. the batter has to be slightly thicker than the idli batter.
2. add 1 tsp eno-fruit salt.
3. stir briskly and be quick. make sure the fruit salt is distributed well in the batter. don’t over do as you don’t want the air bubbles to escape.
4. quickly pour the batter in the prepared greased pan.
5. spread evenly and shake the pan to even out the batter. keep the pan in the steamer.
6. cover the steamer and steam for approx 18-20 minutes. i used an electric steamer and steamed for exact 20 minutes. check with a tooth pick to see the doneness and if the toothpick comes out clean, then the dhokla is ready. remove the dhokla and allow to cool for 5-6 minutes.
7. you can temper directly or unmould the dhokla carefully in a serving plate and then slice and temper the slices. prepare the tempering.
8. pour the tempering mixture evenly over the rava dhokla.
9. top rava dhokla with some chopped coriander leaves or freshly grated coconut. slice and serve the rava dhokla warm or cool.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media