Potato Poha or Batata Poha or simply Poha as I call this tasty recipe used to be quite a regular breakfast recipe at my place. Its a popular breakfast in Maharashtra. Here I have posted my mom’s version of making this recipe of Potato Poha. I have had pohas at many places in Mumbai, but I never liked the taste of those pohas. I like the poha they way my mom makes it. Her recipe of making poha is great and I make the poha at my place using her recipe.
Its slightly different from the regular version of making poha…….. and that is instead of using boiled potatoes…… we fry the potatoes. This add some crunchiness to the poha along with the crunchiness of the roasted peanuts. Also, use of fresh coconut is optional. We usually have the poha at home, without coconut. If you have coconut, well and good and if you do not have coconut, then too well and good. In short, this poha recipe tastes great even without coconut.
Ingredients for making the Potato Poha:
- 1 and half cup poha (flattened rice)
- 1 medium sized potato, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green chili, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, chopped or whole
- 3/4 (three-fourth) tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 (three-fourth) tsp cumin seeds
- 1 and half tbsp roasted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sugar or more if you want it the poha to be more sweet.
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander/cilantro leaves
- a few pieces of lemon or 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp oil
Method to make the Potato Poha Recipe:
- Pick the Poha. Wash the poha in clean running water. Use a strainer to wash the poha. Keep the poha in the strainer and wash it in running water. Make sure that you do not wash it too much or else it breaks and gets mushy. While cleaning, the poha absorbs enough water and it becomes soft. The poha must become soft but remain intact, whole and separate as shown in the picture below. If the poha does not become soft, sprinkle few drops of water on the poha in the strainer.
- In a kadai, heat oil. Before frying the potatoes, just sprinkle some salt to the potatoes and mix it well with the potatoes. Immediately put the potatoes in the hot oil. By using this technique, the potatoes have salt in them and yet do not loose water and become moist before frying. Fry the potatoes till golden brown and crisp. Keep aside.
- In the same kadai, we can cook now. If oil is more, then remove extra oil and cook in the same kadai. Add the mustard seeds to the hot oil. When they splutter, add the cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds sizzle, add the onions. Fry the onions till they become transparent.
- Add the sugar and mix it well. Now add the curry leaves, green chili and roasted peanuts.. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder and fry for 5 seconds. Add the poha and salt. Mix it gently with the rest of the mixture.
- Add the fried potatoes.
- Saute the entire poha mixture for 2-3 minutes, stirring gently in between.
- Once done, garnish the poha with chopped coriander/cilantro leaves and grated fresh coconut.
- Serve Potato Poha hot with chopped lemon pieces. The lemon juice has to be squeezed on to the poha before eating it.
- Alternatively, you could also do this method. Once the poha is done, close off the flame. Sprinkle approx 2 tsp lime juice on the poha. Mix it with the poha and then garnish it with coconut and cilantro leaves.