this recipe of portuguese tomato rice is dedicated to a few of my portuguese friends. simple and easy to make and still delicious. goes well with mung bean sprouts salad or vegetable salad.
very similar to the spanish rice recipe, except for the method of cooking… which i will post soon. its a little on the bland side as besides black pepper no other spices are added. to give a little spice and heat you can add red chili flakes or red chili powder.
make sure to make the recipe with olive oil only and not any other oil. what olive oil contributes, no other oil can contribute to this recipe.
i have made this tomato recipe both with sunflower oil and olive oil. but the flavor and taste is remarkably different with olive oil. sunflower oil makes it too bland both taste wise and flavor wise. so make sure to use a good quality olive oil.
if you do not have olive oil and plan to use sunflower oil, then add some red chili flakes or red chili powder to spice up the tomato rice.
portuguese tomato rice recipe below:
- 2 cups rice
- 4-5 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5-6 medium sized garlic, chopped or crushed
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- ¾ cup chopped coriander/cilantro leaves or parsley or equal amounts of coriander leaves and parsley leaves
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 4 and a half cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 or 3 tbsp olive oil
- pick, clean and wash the rice.
- heat the olive oil in a deep pan.
- add the chopped onion and bay leaves and fry them till the onions become transparent.
- add the chopped or crushed garlic and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- now add the chopped tomatoes.
- cook the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes till they become soft.
- add the water or vegetable stock and chopped coriander leaves and parsley and let it come to a boil.
- add the rice, salt and pepper. cover the pan and let the rice cook till fluffy and done.
- garnish with a few chopped coriander and parsley leaves while serving the portuguese tomato rice.
Follow us on Social Media