palak chole is another chole or chickpea recipe, which is liked my many. this palak chole or spinach with chickpeas is made in north indian style.
the recipe is like the north indian chole/chickpea curry and just has the addition of spinach. basically an onion-tomato paste sauted with spices to which the spinach and then the chickpeas are added.
the palak chole recipe can be made with regular spinach or baby spinach. instead of using dried chickpeas, which require cooking, canned chickpeas can also be used.
this is a healthy dish obviously due to the combination of spinach and chickpeas. together with rotis or rice it becomes a complete meal. another recipe which is similar to this is methi chole.
palak chole recipe details below:
- 4.5 or 5 cups chopped spinach or palak
- 1 cup dried white chickpeas or chole or kabuli chana
- 1 large tomato, pureed
- 1.5 to 2 cups water
- 3 to 4 tbsp oil
- ¾ tsp pomegranate seed, dry roasted and crushed or ½ to ¾ tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi, crushed
- salt as required
- 1 large onion
- 1 or 2 green chilies
- 3-4 garlic
- ½ inch ginger (optional)
- 1 inch cinnamon/dal chini
- 3 cloves/lavang
- 2 green cardamom/hari elaichi/choti elaichi
- 1 black cardamom/badi elaichi
- 1 small bay leaf/indian tej patta
- ½ tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¾ tsp punjabi garam masala powder or chana masala
- soak the dried white chana/chole overnight or for 7-8 hours.
- drain and then pressure cook the chole/chickpeas in 3 to 4 cups water till they are cooked completely. you can also cook the chickpeas in a pot.
- meanwhile, prepare the onion paste with green chilies, ginger and garlic. also prepare the tomato puree.
- rinse and chop the spinach/palak leaves. drain the chole and keep aside.
- heat oil. fry all whole spices till fragrant.
- add the onion paste. fry till light brown.
- add the tomato and all the spice powders mentioned in the above list.
- fry till oil leaves the sides of the masala and the masala is well browned.
- now add the chopped palak and salt. stir and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- add the cooked chole and stir. pour 1.5 to 2 cups water.
- add crushed pomegranate seeds powder or dry mango powder and salt.
- also mash a few chole with the back of the spoon. simmer till the gravy thickens and becomes smooth.
- lastly add crushed kasuri methi and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- serve palak chole hot with rotis, naan or steamed rice or jeera rice and onion-lemon salad