palak chole recipe with step by step photos – north indian style delicious curry made with spinach and chana (white chickpeas). chana palak is another chole recipe, which is liked my many.
the palak chole recipe is like the north indian chole curry and just has the addition of spinach. basically an onion-tomato paste sauted with spices to which the spinach and then the chickpeas are added.
the palak chole recipe can be made with regular spinach or baby spinach. instead of using dried chickpeas, which require cooking, canned chickpeas can also be used. for more spinach recipes, you can check this collection of 29 palak recipes.
this is a healthy dish obviously due to the combination of spinach and chickpeas. together with rotis or rice it becomes a complete meal. few more delicious chole recipes on blog are:
you can serve palak chole with roti, naan, tandoori rotis, steamed rice or jeera rice.
palak chole recipe card below:
palak chole recipe | chana palak recipe
palak chole recipe - north indian style delicious curry made with spinach and chana (white chickpeas).
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for palak chole:
- 4.5 or 5 cups chopped spinach or palak
- 1 cup dried white chickpeas (chole or kabuli chana or safed chana)
- 1 large tomato - pureed
- 1.5 to 2 cups water
- 3 to 4 tablespoon oil
- ¾ teaspoon pomegranate seed - dry roasted and crushed OR ½ to ¾ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi - crushed (dry fenugreek leaves)
- salt as required - for boiling chole and for the gravy
to be ground to paste
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch), chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves (garlic), chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak), chopped, optional
whole spices for palak chana:
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 cloves (lavang)
- 2 green cardamom (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
spice powders for palak chole:
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¾ teaspoon punjabi garam masala powder or chana masala powder or garam masala powder
how to make recipe
preparation for palak chole recipe:
soak the dried white chana (chole) overnight or for 7 to 8 hours.
drain and add chole (chickpeas) with 3 to 4 cups of water in the pressure cooker. sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt or as required.
pressure cook the chole till they are cooked completely. you can also cook the chickpeas in a pot or pan.
meanwhile, prepare the onion paste with green chilies, ginger and garlic. also prepare the tomato puree. keep aside.
rinse palak (spinach leaves) very well in water. then chop them. also drain the cooked chole and keep aside.
making palak chole recipe:
in a pan heat oil. fry all whole spices till fragrant.
add the onion paste. saute till light brown.
add the tomato puree and all the spice powders mentioned in the above list.
- fry till oil leaves the sides of the masala and the masala is well browned.
now add the chopped palak and salt. stir and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- add the cooked chole and stir. pour 1.5 to 2 cups water.
add crushed pomegranate seeds powder or dry mango powder.
also mash a few chole with the back of the spoon. simmer till the palak chole gravy thickens and becomes smooth.
lastly add crushed kasuri methi and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- serve palak chole hot with rotis, naan or steamed rice or jeera rice and onion-lemon salad
how to make palak chole recipe:
1. rinse and then soak 1 cup of dried white chana (chole) overnight or for 7-8 hours.
2. drain the soaked chole.
3. add chole with 3 to 4 cups of water in the pressure cooker.
4. sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt or as required.
5. pressure cook the chole (chickpeas) till they are cooked completely. you can also cook the chickpeas in a pot.
6. the boiled chole (chickpeas) should be soft and tender.
7. meanwhile add 1 large onion, 1 to 2 green chilies, ½ inch ginger and 3 to 4 garlic in a grinder or blender jar.
8. grind to a smooth paste. no need to add water while grinding or blending. remove and keep aside.
9. in the sam jar, add one large sized chopped tomato. grind to a smooth puree. no need to add water while grinding or blending.
10. rinse the palak (spinach leaves) very well in water.
11. then chop the spinach leaves. keep aside. you will need 4.5 to 5 cups of chopped palak.
12. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the palak chole recipe.
13. drain the boiled chole and keep aside.
14. heat oil in a kadai. fry 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamom and 1 tej patta till they are fragrant.
15. add the onion paste.
16. saute and keep stirring often. saute till the onion paste turns light brown.
17. then add the tomato puree.
18. stir and mix very well.
19. sprinkle ½ teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric and ¾ teaspoon garam masala powder.
20. stir and mix well again.
21. continue to saute till oil leaves the sides of the masala and the masala is well browned.
22. then add 4.5 to 5 cups of chopped palak. mix well.
23. sprinkle salt.
24. stir and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
25. add the cooked chole.
26. stir well.
27. pour 1.5 to 2 cups water.
28. add crushed pomegranate seeds powder or dry mango powder. i used ¾ teaspoon of dry mango powder (amchur).
29. stir well.
30. also mash a few chole with the back of the spoon.
31. simmer till the palak chole gravy thickens and becomes smooth.
32. lastly add crushed 1 teaspoon of crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves).
33. simmer palak chana gravy for 1 to 2 minutes.