mysore bonda recipe with step by step photos. mysore bonda also known as ulundu bonda is a popular fried snack from the mysore cuisine. these are round fritters made from urad dal/black gram. these are also no onion no garlic snack as well. another similar no onion no garlic snack is cabbage vada.
mysore bonda are quite similar to medu vada except for the fresh coconut pieces that go into the batter and the shape. the coconut pieces give a good texture and bite in the otherwise soft bonda. they are easy to prepare, but like medu vada, care should be taken, that less water is added while grinding the urad dal.
the first time i made mysore bonda, they become too crisp and absorbed a lot of oil, as i accidentally spilled extra water while grinding the urad dal. the batter has to be fluffy and thick as well. it is always better to soak the urad dal overnight to get a really soft, porous texture in the bondas.
in the recipe below i have mentioned the recipe for coconut chutney that i had made, to go along with the mysore bonda.
mysore bonda recipe details below:
- ½ cup urad dal
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp rice flour
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2.5 to 3 tbsp chopped coconut
- 8-10 curry leaves/kadi patta, chopped
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- salt as required
- water as required for soaking and grinding urad dal
- oil for shallow or deep frying the vadas
- ¼ cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp roasted chana dal
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves fried in 1 or 2 tsp oil
- water as required
- soak the urad dal overnight in enough water or for 5-6 hours.
- drain the urad dal.
- in a mixer or wet grinder, grind the lentils till smooth and fluffy, adding very little water.
- pour the batter in a bowl.
- mix in all the ingredients, except oil.
- heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or fryer.
- shape the batter in a round shape on your palms and slid these gently into the oil.
- fry in medium hot oil till the bondas are crisp and golden.
- drain the mysore bondas on kitchen towels to remove excess oil.
- serve hot mysore bonda with coconut chutney.
- first fry the curry leaves in 1 or 2 tsp oil till they get crisp.
- grind all the ingredients mentioned under the coconut chutney list, along with the fried curry leaves and oil, with little water.
- serve the coconut chutney with the mysore bonda.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
step by step ulundu bonda or mysore bonda recipe:
1: soak the urad dal overnight for 5-6 hours and then grind to a smooth, fluffy and thick batter. add little water while grinding.
2: now add the crushed black pepper, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida and rice flour.
3: add the chopped coconut pieces and salt. mix well.
4: heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or a pan. apply some water on your palms and take a few spoonsfuls of the batter on your palm. shape them round with your fingers. if you do not want a round shape & cannot manage this, then just drop the batter with a 1 tablespoon measure spoon in the oil.
5: slid the bonda gently into the medium hot oil, taking care that your fingers do not touch the hot oil. prepare in the same way and add these to the oil. don’t overcrowd them. remember the oil has to be hot. if the oil is not enough hot, the bondas will absorb oil and become greasy. so as a test, just drop a pinch of batter in the oil and if it comes up to the surface in a steady quick motion, then the oil is hot. if it comes too quickly then the oil is very hot. very hot oil will brown the bondas quickly from outside keeping the insides uncooked.
6: fry till the mysore bondas are golden and crisp.
7: drain mysore bonda on paper towels to remove excess oil.
8: these mysore bonda have to be served hot with coconut chutney accompanied with filter coffee.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media