this recipe of mooli ki bhurji or mooli sabzi is again a special punjabi dish. basically mooli bhurji, is radish sauted in mustard oil with carom seeds and green chilies.
along with mooli bhurji, another breakfast recipe that we make from radish is mooli ka paratha. in my home it is a standard practice to have stuffed parathas like aloo paratha, paneer paratha or aloo poori or sabzi with rotis for breakfast. it is only me in the whole house who is a bread & cereal person and has breads or poha or the weekly idli, dosa for breakfast.
this mooli ki bhurji is mil’s recipe again. when i first had this punjabi mooli bhurji (for lunch and not breakfast), i was like wow… i have always had mooli with coconut. this was an extreme to me. the pungency of the mooli/radish, the hotness of the chilies, the mustard oil & ajwain (carom seeds) flavors… so many tastes coming together in one dish.
so if you don’t like mooli, then you must try this mooli bhurji… you will forget your animosity with mooli/radish 🙂
i had moolis which had less roots and more greens. whichever way… the punjabi mooli ki bhurji is anways delicious.
remember to use both the white tender roots as well as the greens for the mooli bhurji. the greens should be tender. if not, then just make the bhurji with the mooli/radish root. either chop the mooli finely or grate it.
there is already a similar mooli sabzi with punjabi wadis posted on my blog. if you like mooli and have wadis at home, then you can also check this punjabi mooli wadi sabzi.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
punjabi mooli ki bhurji recipe below:
- 4 medium white radish/mooli with or without leaves
- ½ or ¾ tsp ajwain/carom seeds
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped
- ¼ tsp asafoetida powder/hing
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- salt as required
- rinse and peel the radish. either grate or chop the radish roots finely.
- rinse the leaves and then chop then finely too.
- heat the mustard oil till it starts smoking. add the ajwain and fry for half a minute.
- now add the green chiles and asafoetida and fry again for half a minute.
- add the radish along with the leaves. stir. add salt and mix well.
- do not cover the pan. let the radish cook on a medium flame.
- keep on stirring in between. the radish and the greens will start to release their juices.
- just stir the bhurji. the liquids will evaporate whilst the radish is getting cooked.
- when the radish gets completely cooked and the whole bhurji looks dry, remove from fire.
- serve mooli ki bhurji hot with soft phulkas or chapatis.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media