lemon rice recipe – one of the most popular and often made rice recipe from south india. a rice dish i have had at a few south indian temples and also in restaurants.
basically this rice dish is one of the easiest to make…. already cooked or steamed rice is mixed with a spiced lemon and peanut mixture.
you can make lemon rice with freshly cooked rice or even with left over rice. the peanuts adds crunch to this sour and aromatic rice recipe. you can cook the rice al dente or cook a bit more. apart from chinese fried rice, pulao or biryanis, in all other rice recipes, i prefer to cook rice grains more than al dente.
this lemon rice can also be made as a tiffin box or as a picnic lunch. its a light dish and you can have it as a light breakfast also.
lemon rice recipe below:
- 2.5 to 3 cups cooked or steamed basmati rice/chawal
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp lemon juice/nimbu ka ras or as required
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- 1 tsp urad dal/spilt & skinned black gram
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- 2 dry red chilies/sookhi lal mirch
- 12-15 curry leaves/kadi patta
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tbsp cashews/kaju, halved or chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup peanuts/moongphalli (optional)
- 2 to 3 tbsp sesame oil/til ka tel (optional)
- rock salt/sendha namak or regular salt/namak as required
- first cook about 1 to 1.25 cups rice in 4-5 cups of water till the grains are cooked completely. (will yield approx 2.5 to 3 cups rice, depending on the type and quality of rice)
- drain and spread the rice on a plate or in a bowl.
- cover and let the rice cool.
- in a small frying pan, first roast the peanuts till they are crisp and browned.
- remove the peanuts and keep aside.
- then in the same frying pan, roast the cashewnuts till light brown.
- remove the cashewnuts and keep aside.
- now heat the sesame oil in the same pan.
- add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- crackle the mustard and brown the urad dal.
- add the red chilies, green chilies and curry leaves.
- fry for 12-15 seconds.
- then add the peanuts and stir.
- add the asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- fry for 2-3 seconds.
- fry everything on a low flame, so that the spices don't burn.
- switch off the fire and add the lemon juice along with salt.
- stir and immediately pour this mixture on the rice.
- mix very well.
- keep the lemon rice covered for the flavors to blend for 4-5 minutes.
- then serve the lemon rice with papads or vadams and coconut chutney or just have lemon rice plain.