lachha paratha recipe with step by step photos – lachha paratha or lachedar paratha is a popular paratha recipe from north india, made from whole wheat flour.
its also called as paratwala paratha. in punjabi “parat” means layer and layers can be seen on the paratha when it gets cooked. its south indian counterpart is the parotta which is made from all purpose flour and eggs.
lachedar paratha is an easy paratha to make. there are some 2 to 3 techniques used for making these parathas. i usually make the lachedar parathas using this technique and one more technique. these work for me and i find them simple and easy. you can also check this mint paratha recipe where i have shared more photos of preparing the layered paratha.
i usually make the paratha of medium thickness. if you make them more thick then more layers will be visible but then you have to cook the paratha really very well so that it is not left uncooked from inside.
serve the lachha parathas hot with any vegetable curry like aloo matar, veg kadai, veg korma, veg makhanwala, veg handi or with paneer curry recipes like paneer butter masala, matar paneer, kadai paneer, paneer makhani or with mango pickle.
lachedar paratha or lachha paratha recipe below:
Lachha Paratha Recipe | Lachedar Paratha Recipe
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups wheat flour (atta)
- 1 to 2 teaspoon ghee or oil
- salt as required
- water as required for kneading
- ghee or oil as required for applying on the dough as well as roasting
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
- combine all the dry ingredients for the dough. add ghee and water in parts. knead to form a smooth dough. add more water if required for the dough. cover the dough and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- take a medium sized ball of dough. roll it into 6 to 7 inches diameter disc on a dusted rolling board.
- apply ghee or oil liberally on the paratha disc. sprinkle some flour on the top.
- from the edges start to fold & pleat the paratha till the end.
- roll the pleated edges tightly. join the edges.
- lightly dust with flour and now roll into round parathas of about 4 to 5 inches in diameter.
- heat the tava. the tava should be hot. place the paratha on the tava.
- turn the paratha when one side is partly cooked. apply ghee on this side. cook for a minute.
- now turn again and apply ghee on the other side.
- flip again for a couple of times, till the parathas are browned evenly and well cooked. press the sides with the spatula while frying the parathas.
- alternatively, you could also add some ghee on the tava and then fry the lachedar parathas.
- serve the lachha paratha hot with any indian dal or a vegetable curry of your choice.
measuring cup used for ingredients is: 1 cup = 250 ml.
lets start lachedar paratha or lachha paratha recipe:
1: combine all the dry ingredients for the dough. add ghee/oil and water in parts and knead to a smooth dough. add more water if required for the dough. cover the dough and keep aside for 20 minutes.
2. divide the dough into equal sized dough balls.
3: lightly dust a medium sized ball of dough.
4. roll it into 6 to 7 inches diameter thin disc. sprinkle flour while rolling.
5: apply ghee or oil liberally on the paratha disc.
6. sprinkle some whole wheat flour/atta on top.
7: from the edge start folding and pelating the as shown in the pic below.
8: keep on pleating it like shown in the picture image or you can also fold it like a paper fan. do this till you come to the end.
9: roll the pleated dough in a tight cirlce. join the edges.
10: dust some flour and now start rolling again.
11. rolled lachedar paratha ready to be put on tawa or griddle.
12: heat the tawa. place the paratha on the hot tawa.
13. turn the lachha paratha when one side is partly cooked.
14. apply ghee on this side.
14: now turn again and apply ghee on the other side. flip again for a couple of times, till the parathas are browned evenly and well cooked. press the sides with the spatula while frying the parathas. alternatively, you could also add some ghee on the tava and then fry the lachedar parathas.
serve the lachha parathas hot with any curry recipe like palak paneer, kadai paneer, kadai mushroom, chana masala, paneer lababdar, veg korma or with mango pickle. you can also squish the paratha in your palms (take care as they will be hot) so that the layers are visible and then serve.