Kothimbir Vadi Recipe – One more favorite Maharashtrian snack. Kothimbir is the Marathi word for coriander leaves.
Kothimbir Vadi are basically coriander fritters. Here the chickpea flour batter having coriander leaves and spices is steamed first and then cut into wedges, later to be fried till crisp.
Back home, we always used to have these vadis with tomato sauce. It can also be had with coconut chutney or curd. In Mumbai in many Maharashtrian sweet shops, one can gets to snack the kothimbir vadis.
The Kothimbir Vadis can be steamed in a cooker or pan like we do for khaman dhokla. But I steamed the batter in the microwave oven. I pan fried the vadis instead of shallow or deep frying.
When I have to make steamed snacks like vadis or dhoklas, i prefer the microwave oven. It is less of the pots and pans to clean and is hassle free. plus quick too.
If you don’t want to fry, you can have the steamed vadis as they are. They still taste delicious. But frying them makes them crisp & the texture as well as the taste changes for the better.
So when you crave for a quick delicious snack or finger food, do try this kothimbir vadi.
Maharashtrian Kothimbir Vadi recipe below:
- 1 or 1½ cups of chopped coriander/cilantro leaves
- 2 cups of besan - chickpea flour (add more if required)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp ginger chilli paste
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ cup roasted crushed peanuts (optional)
- 1¼ or 1½ cups water
- a pinch of hing
- salt as required
- Mix together all the ingredients with water to form a smooth and thick batter.
- Apply oil at the base and sides of a microwave safe cooker or bowl.
- Add the batter mixture in the microwave safe bowl or cooker.
- Cover it with its lid or a microwave safe lid.
- Microwave on high for 3 mins or till done.
- The mixture should be cooked and firm.
- Insert a knife or toothpick and if it comes out clean, the vadi is cooked well.
- If after 3 mins, the batter has yet not cooked, then microwave for a minute or two.
- Let it cool.
- Then remove the steamed cake on a tray.
- Cut it into diamond shaped or square shaped slices.
- Shallow fry or deep fry or pan fry in hot oil till crisp and browned.
- Serve Kothimbir Vadi hot with green chutney or tomato sauce..
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media