kashmiri pulao recipe with step by step photos – kashmiri pulao is aromatic, mild and sweet.
kashmiri pulao is one of the easiest pulao recipes to make and unlike other pulaos this one is on the sweeter side. reason being the pulao is garnished with both dry fruits and fresh fruits. dry fruits gives warmth and is ideal for the cold climate of kashmir. for the unacquainted, kashmir is one of the most beautiful places on earth in terms of scenic beauty and is often called a paradise on earth.
the fresh fruits which are usually added in kashmiri pulao are pineapple, apple and pomegranate. dry fruits which are added are generally a mix of almonds, raisins, pistachios, walnuts and cashews. most variations of making this pulao will use a different mix of fruits and dry fruits. two more popular recipes from kashmir are kashmiri biryani and kashmiri dum aloo recipe.
when i made the kashmiri pulao i did not add any fruits in it because i was serving the pulao with a mild and light lauki yakhni (fried bottle gourd slices in yogurt sauce) along with onion tomato raita…. and in my home nobody will like the combination of fruits with a sauce or curry or a spiced raita.
if you want you can add fruits. keep in mind what other dishes you will be serving with the kashmiri pulao. eg. if going for a sweet raita like pineapple raita or mango raita or pomegranate raita, then adding fruits to the pulao would be a good idea.
kashmiri pulao recipe details below:
kashmiri pulao recipe - aromatic, mild and sweet kashmiri pulao recipe.
- 1 cup basmati rice soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (shahjeera)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 3 cloves (laung)
- 2-3 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf)
- 2 pinches of saffron (kesar)
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 4 to 4.25 cups water
- salt as required
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced thinly
- 10-12 cashews (kaju)
- 10-12 almonds (badam)
- 10-12 walnuts (akhrot)
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- heat oil or ghee in a deep pan. on a low or medium flame, add all the whole spices. fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
- now lower the flame and add the ginger and fennel powder & stir.
- add the soaked and drained basmati rice and stir.
- add crushed saffron and saute for a minute.
- pour water and salt. stir and cover the pan tightly. when the rice is cooking, prepare the garnish.
- heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. add the sliced onions.
- also add a pinch of salt and fry the onions till they are golden or caramelized and crisp. remove and drain on paper tissues.
- in the same oil, first fry the almonds till they become crisp. now fry the cashews and walnuts till they are crisp and lightly browned.
- cook the rice till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. when done, fluff the rice.
- serve kashmiri pulao hot and while serving the kashmiri pulao, garnish with the fried onions and dry fruits.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNELAdvertisements
how to make kashmiri pulao recipe :
1. measure all the ingredients for the pulao and keep ready.
2. on a low or medium flame, heat oil or ghee in a deep pan.
3. add 1 inch cinnamon stick, 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, 1 bay leaf, 3 cloves, 2 to 3 green cardamoms and 2 black cardamoms.
4. fry the spices till the oil becomes fragrant.
5. now lower the flame. add the ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth) and 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder).
6. stir well.
7. add 1 cup of soaked and drained basmati rice.
8. mix well.
9. add 2 pinches of crushed saffron (kesar).
10. saute for a minute.
11. pour 2 cups of water.
12. add salt as required.
13. mix and stir well.
14. cover the pan tightly. when the rice is cooking, prepare the garnish.
15. heat 2 tablespoon ghee or oil in a frying pan.
16. add one sliced onion.
17. also add a pinch of salt to the onions.
18. fry the onions till they are golden or caramelized and crisp.
19. remove and drain on paper tissues.
20. in the same oil or ghee, first fry 10 to 12 almonds till they become crisp.
21. remove and drain fried almonds on paper tissues.
22. now fry 10 to 12 cashews till they are crisp and lightly browned.
23. remove fried cashews. drain them on paper tissues.
24. also fry 10 to 12 walnuts till they are crisp and lightly browned.
25. remove fried walnuts. drain them on paper tissues.
26. cook the rice till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
27. when done, fluff the rice.
28. while serving the kashmiri pulao, garnish with the fried onions and dry fruits.
serve kashmiri pulao hot with raita or salad.