kashmiri pulao is aromatic, mild and sweet. kashmiri pulao is one of the easiest pulao recipes to make and unlike other pulaos this one is on the sweeter side.
reason being the pulao is garnished with both dry fruits and fresh fruits. dry fruits gives warmth and is ideal for the cold climate of kashmir. for the unaquainted, kashmir is one of the most beautiful places on earth in terms of scenic beauty and is often called a paradise on earth.
the fresh fruits which are usually added in kashmiri pulao are pineapple, apple and pomegranate. dry fruits which are added are generally a mix of almonds, raisins, pistachios, walnuts and cashews. most variations of making this pulao will use a different mix of fruits and dry fruits.
when i made the kashmiri pulao i did not add any fruits in it because i was serving the pulao with a mild and light lauki yakhni (fried bottle gourd slices in yogurt sauce) along with onion tomato raita…. and in my home nobody will like the combination of fruits with a sauce or curry or a spiced raita.
if you want you can add fruits. keep in mind what other dishes you will be serving with the kashmiri pulao. eg. if going for a sweet raita like pineapple raita or mango raita or pomegranate raita, then adding fruits to the pulao would be a good idea.
kashmiri pulao recipe details below:
- 2 cups basmati rice soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 tsp shahjeera/caraway seeds
- 1 indian bayleaf/tej patta
- 3 cloves
- 2-3 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- ½ tsp dry ginger powder
- 1 tsp fennel powder/saunf
- 2 pinches of saffron/kesar
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 4 to 41/4 cups water
- salt as required
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced thinly
- 10-12 cashews
- 10-12 almonds
- 10-12 walnuts
- 2 tbsp oil
- heat oil or ghee in a deep pan.
- on a low or medium flame, add all the whole spices.
- fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
- now lower the flame and add the ginger and fennel powder & stir.
- add the soaked and drained basmati rice and stir.
- add crushed saffron and saute for a minute.
- pour water and salt.
- stir and cover the pan tightly.
- when the rice is cooking, prepare the garnish.
- heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan.
- add the sliced onions.
- also add a pinch of salt and fry the onions till they are golden or caramelized and crisp.
- remove and drain on paper tissues.
- in the same oil, first fry the almonds till they become crisp.
- now fry the cashews and walnuts till they are crisp and lightly browned.
- cook the rice till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- when done, fluff the rice.
- serve kashmiri pulao hot and while serving the kashmiri pulao, garnish with the fried onions and dry fruits.