kala chana curry recipe – a staple black chickpeas curry at home. this simple punjabi curry is very easy to make and yet flavorful. basic ingredients like onions, tomatoes and garlic along with the regular indian spices go into it.
this kala chana curry has a thin soup like consistency and is not thick or creamy. it can be relished as a soup or even had with steamed rice or chapatis. they actually go very well with plain steamed rice and this combo is filling too.
while making chana recipes, always soak the chickpeas overnight to soften them. when we make black chickpeas we don’t throw the water and use it for cooking. whereas for white chickpeas, we discard the water which is used for soaking them.
i suggest to cook black chickpeas in a pressure cooker rather than cooking in a pot. in a pressure cooker, the chickpeas cook much much faster than in a pot, which takes hours.
black chickpeas are a rich source of protein and is excellent for growing up kids and people who are into sports or need lots of energy. black chickpeas should be cooked really well. they might be difficult to digest for some folks. hence adding cumin and asafoetida help in the digestion.
punjabi kala chana curry recipe below:
- 1 cup of dried black chickpeas/kala chana (soaked overnight or for 8-9 hours)
- 3 cups water for soaking black chickpeas
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves/lahsun, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilli/hari mirch, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder or degi mirch
- ½ tsp punjabi garam masala or regular garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric/haldi
- pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- salt as required
- soak the black chickpeas or kala chana overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- in a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp of ghee or oil.
- add cumin, crackle them and then add finely chopped onions.
- saute the onions till they become light golden.
- add garlic, green chilli and saute for 15-20 seconds .
- add finely chopped tomatoes and saute them till the oil starts leaving from the sides of the onion-tomato masala.
- add the turmeric powder, asafoetida, kashmiri red chili powder and saute for 2-3 seconds.
- then add the kala chana along with all of the water. season with salt and stir well.
- pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 8-9 whistles or more till the chickpeas are cooked well and softened.
- lastly sprinkle the garam masala and stir. garnish the kala chana curry with coriander leaves.
- serve the kala chana curry with steamed rice, rotis or chappati.
Follow us on Social Media