Punjabi Aloo Beans Recipe – This recipe requires French Beans and Aloo/Potatoes. Generally, few people are fond of French Beans. I myself was never fond of them.
But after I learnt this authentic punjabi aloo beans recipe from my mother-in-law, I started relishing french beans. Its a simple recipe that does not call for much time. This is a dry vegetable recipe that does not use water or other liquids. I make this often when i want something easy and healthy to make.
This aloo beans recipe can also be made with Capsicum instead of French Beans. The rest of the ingredients remain the same. You will find the link for the Shimla Mirch – Capsicum Aloo on this link : Aloo Capsicum Recipe.
Lets Start Step by Step Aloo Beans Recipe:
1: Start by cleaning and cutting the french beans and aloo. In a thick bottomed kadai or pan add the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the aloo. Stir. Reduce the flame and let the aloo slow cook for some time. Keep on stirring in between.
2: Later add the green beans and saute it with potatoes for few minutes.
3: Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt except garam masala powder and amchur powder. Let the vegetables gently get sauted in the oil on slow flame. This will take some time.
3: If you want the vegetables to cook quickly you can cover the kadai or wok with a lid. But, remember to check it after a few minutes or so. If you cover the veggies they will loose their crispiness. But works when you are in a hurry. I don’t cover the kadai when cooking this recipe…. I just cook it on a slow flame. Takes some time but worth it. When the vegetables are cooked, add garam masala powder and amchur powder.
4: Serve aloo beans hot with phulkas and curd. This can also be served as a side vegetable dish.
Few tips for the Aloo French Beans Recipe:
- For the french beans and aloo to cook faster, it is better if you cover the pan or kadai. To ensure that the veggies don’t get burnt, on the lid of the pan, you can add some water or cook on the lid. This is applicable only if you are using an external lid which can hold water. If you are using a pan which has its own lid, then just cover it and let the french beans and potatoes cook on slow fire. Generally, when we make this recipe at home, we do not add any water. We just let the veggies cook in the kadhai on a slow flame. If you do this step, remember the veggies will cook fast, but will loose their crispiness.
- If you add 2-3 tsp of pav bhaji masala to this aloo beans recipe, it tastes great.
- If you want the sabzi to be a little more tangy, you can 1/2 to 1 tsp of more amchur powder.
- Instead of vegetable oil, you could also use ghee or even olive oil to make this recipe.
Punjabi Aloo Beans Recipe details below:
- French Beans - 250 gms
- Potatoes - 3 or 4
- Turmeric/Haldi Powder - ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - ½ tsp
- Amchur/Dry Mango Powder Powder - 1 tsp or according to taste
- Oil/Ghee - 2-3 tbsp
- Salt - As per taste
- Start by cleaning and cutting the french beans and potatoes. In a thick bottomed kadai or pan add the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the potatoes and saute these for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beans now and saute both the veggies 8-10 minutes on a low flame.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt except garam masala powder and amchur powder.
- After 8-10 minutes the veggies will get cooked. Now add the amchur powder and garam masala powder. Stir.
- Serve the aloo beans with rotis and curd. This Aloo French Beans Sabzi can also be served as a side veggie dish.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media