Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe with step by step photos – Bhindi Do Pyaza is a north indian dish made from Okra and double the amount of Onions.
The hindi name for Okra/Ladyfinger is Bhindi and for Onions is Pyaz. ‘Do’ in Hindi means twice or double. This recipe uses double the amount of onions than what is used generally. Either the onions are doubled or add twice during cooking. Hence the name Bhindi Do Pyaza. Two more popular veg do pyaza recipes are:
This dish is found in the menu of many indian restaurants. There are many different versions of making Bhindi Do Pyaza. On the internet you will find many versions of making this popular recipe. The recipe that I am posting here comes from my mother-in-law and its a simple, easier and non fussy version of making Bhindi Do Pyaza.
Bhindi whilst cooking sometimes becomes slimy. In this post, towards the end, in the tips section, I have mentioned how you can minimize the sliminess and stickiness while cooking Bhindi.
Bhindo Do Pyaza goes very well with chapatis or rotis. Also goes well as a side dish with Dal Tadka & Steamed Rice.
Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe below:
Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe - Simple and Easy Recipe of Okra made in Punjabi Style.
- 500 grams okra (bhindi or lady fingers)
- 2 large onions or about 4 medium onions, about 2 heaped sliced onions
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder (lal mirch powder) or add as required
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur) or add as required
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 to 3.5 tablespoons oil or ghee
- salt as required
Firstly wash the bhindi in running water. Then wipe them with a kitchen napkin.
Now chop the bhindis into half inch pieces.
Slice the onions thinly.
In a pan or wok, add oil or ghee. Then add the chopped bhindis. Saute them on a low to medium flame till the bhindis become slightly tender.
Now add the sliced onions. Add all the dry masala powders except garam masala powder and amchur and mix well.
Add salt too. Mix the bhindis well with the onions.
- Cook on a slow flame till the bhindi has become tender and cooked. Don’t overcook as the bhindis will get mushy.
- Lastly, add the garam masala powder and amchur.
- Mix the garam masala powder and amchur powder with the bhindi and onions.
- Serve Bhindi Do Pyaza with rotis or phulkas. It can also be served as a side dish.
Tips for making Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe:
- Always rinse the bhindi first and then wipe them dry and then chop them. If you just wash them and then chop them they become sticky, while chopping itself. even while cooking them, they become slimy and mushy.
- Avoid adding water when making a recipe exclusively with bhindi as they become too sticky and mushy. If your recipe uses water, then its better to first lightly shallow fry the bhindi and then use them in the recipe.
- I have not covered the pan in this recipe as I do not want the bhindi do pyaza to be slimy and sticky.
- Adding a sour ingredient like amchur powder or tamarind paste reduces the sliminess of bhindi.
rough nutrition info per serving:
Lets Start Step by Step Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe:
1: Firstly wash the bhindi in running water. Then wipe them competely dry with a kitchen napkin or just spread them on a large tray or plate and allow to dry naturally. Now chop the bhindis as shown in the picture below.
2: Slice the onions thinly too. In a pan or wok, add oil or ghee. Then add the chopped bhindi. Saute them on a low to medium flame till the bhindis become slightly tender and just about partly cooked. Takes about 10 to 12 minutes on a low flame. Keep stirring often.
3: Now add the sliced onions.
4: Add all the dry masala powders except garam masala powder and amchur (dry mango powder) and mix well. Add salt too.
5: Mix the bhindis well with the onions. Cook on a slow flame till the bhindi has become tender and cooked well. Don’t overcook as the bhindis will get mushy. The onions would also get browned by then. Also keep on stirring at intervals.
7: Mix the garam masala powder and amchur powder with the bhindi do pyaza.
8: Serve Bhindi Do Pyaza with rotis or phulkas. It can also be served as a side dish.