bhel puri recipe with step by step photos – bhel puri is a very popular mumbai street food. there are two types of bhel – dry and wet bhel. this recipe is for the wet bhel puri where chutneys are added. in the dry bhel you simply do not add any chutneys.
also bhel is eaten with papdis or crisp fried pooris. at least this is how i have them at home. but you can even have them with a spoon 🙂
there is no english translation of bhel puri for my international readers. all i can tell you is that bhel puri is a crispy, soft, sweet, tangy, spicy mixture of many edibles…
mainly made with puffed rice – to which many delectable tid bits are added. you will see in the pictorial below.
bhel puri have to be served as soon as they get made and immediately. serving even after a couple of minutes will make the whole bhel puri mixture soggy and you won’t enjoy it.
if you are looking for more street food recipes then do check:
bhel puri recipe below:
bhel puri recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups puffed rice
- 2 tablespoon mint coriander chutney
- 2 tablespoon tamarind dates chutney
- 1 teaspoon red chili chutney (optional)
- 1 large boiled potato - peeled and chopped
- ½ to ¾ cup boiled moong beans OR steamed moong sprouts
- 1 medium size tomato - finely chopped
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¼ or ½ cup sev
- 5 to 6 papdis - broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoon roasted peanuts (bhuni moongphali)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- black salt as required
how to make recipe
- firstly dry roast the puffed rice in a kadai or pan till they become crisp.
- let them cool and take them all in a large bowl.
- add everything to the puffed rice except sev and coriander leaves.
- quickly mix everything.
- now lastly garnish bhel puri with some coriander leaves and sev.
- serve bhel puri immediately.
- the salt, chutneys and spice powders in the bhel puri can be adjusted as per your liking. you can use ready made chutneys too.
- if you don't have onions, then too you can make the bhel without onions.
how to make mumbai bhel puri recipe:
1: firstly dry roast the puffed rice in a pan till they become crisp. you don’t need to brown them. take them all in a huge bowl.
2: now add chopped onions, tomatoes and mine and yours favorite – potatoes (boiled & chopped)… is there anyone who hates potatoes?
3: add some boiled moong beans… isn’t that a healthy option in a bhel?
5: now some tanginess to join the party – lemon juice, chaat masala powder, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder and salt.
6: with a spoon, just swirl the whole mixture together well and be quick.
7: top up with some broken papdis and roasted peanuts.
8: crispiness fun – add some sev (fried chickpea flour vermicelli) to bhel puri. not to forget the very indian garnishing of coriander aka cilantro leaves.
9: serve bhel puri immediately in individual bowls or plates. top up bhel puri with some sev and more coriander leaves if you want.