beetroot poriyal or any other vegetable poriyals are often made at home. like the kerala thorans, i find them easy to make. so when i make sambar, i end up making either a vegetable poriyal or thoran.
poriyal is a preparation where the vegetables are sauted in spices and topped with fresh grated coconut. for making poriyals, you can either grate or chop the veggies finely. here i have grated the beetroot. if you grate, it takes less time for the veggies to cook. this is my standard recipe for making poriyal with any vegetables.
you can make poriyal with veggies like cabbage, carrot, beetroot, okra, potato etc. i have also shared the recipe of french beans poriyal and beetroot carrot poriyal. poriyals can be served as a side vegetable dish with sambar rice combo or rasam rice combo or even can be had with chapatis.
i served the beetroot poriyal with arbi sambar and steamed foxtail millet.
beetroot poriyal recipe details below:
- 3-4 medium sized beetroot, finely chopped or grated
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ¾ tsp black mustard seeds
- ¾ tsp urad dal
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 3-4 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- heat oil.
- add the mustard and urad dal.
- fry till the mustard seed make a popping sound and the urad dal get golden on a low flame.
- add the green chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- fry for 10-12 seconds.
- now add the beetroot.
- sprinkle salt and stir.
- cover and let the beetroot cook till they are done.
- if the veggie becomes too dry while cooking, sprinkle some water.
- lastly add coconut and give a stir.
- switch off the flame and cover.
- serve the beetroot poriyal hot or warm as a side dish with sambar-rice or rasam-rice or even dal-rice. can also be had with chapatis.