Manchow soup recipe with step by step photos. Manchow soup is a spicy and hot soup made from mixed vegetables. A vegan recipe.
As always for proteins, I have added mushrooms. You can add tofu or sprouts. I do not get good quality tofu here and hence they don’t get added to soups or any stir fries.
In the Indian Chinese restaurants, the manchow soup is served with fried noodles. just to give a restaurant like flavor, I also added fried noodles. I was making both the soup and veg chowmein together and hence kept some noodles for frying. You can completely skip the fried noodles part and serve the soup as it is.
In restaurants, what they serve is a thick soup, which we do not prefer. So I add less corn starch in the soup. Thickness can be easily adjusted by adding more or less of corn starch.
Serve manchow soup as a starter with any Indo Chinese main course like hakka noodles or veg noodles or veg fried rice or burnt garlic fried rice or singapore fried rice.
How to make manchow soup
1. First chop all the veggies and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or pan and add the chopped fresh red chilies, garlic and ginger. sauté for a minute. You can even add green chilies instead of fresh red chilies.
3. Then add chopped onions. Sauté again for a minute.
4. Now add finely chopped french beans and chopped mushrooms. stir fry on a medium to high flame till the mushrooms get lightly browned from the edges.
5. Then add grated carrots, shredded cabbage, finely chopped capsicum (green bell pepper) & celery.
6. Stir fry on a medium to high flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Add black pepper powder and soy sauce. Stir.
7. Add water or veg stock to the stir-fried veggies.
8. Season with salt. Add less salt initially as soy sauce already has salt in it.
9. allow the soup to come to a simmer on medium flame.
Making manchow soup
10. In the meantime, if you have cooked noodles, then add them to medium hot oil for frying. This is an optional step.
11. Fry the noodles till they are crisp. Drain the fried noodles on kitchen paper towels.
12. Meanwhile. Make a smooth paste of the corn starch with water.
13. Add the corn starch paste to the soup.
14. Stir very well and let the soup thicken.
15. Lastly add rice vinegar or regular vinegar. Switch off the flame. Stir and check the taste of veg manchow soup. Add more seasonings like salt, black pepper or soy sauce or vinegar if required.
16. Stir and Serve manchow soup hot topped with fried noodles or just plain garnished with coriander leaves (cilantro leaves).
More Veg soup reCIpes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
for manchow soup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or any other oil
- 1 to 2 fresh red chilies or green chilies - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions or spring onion whites
- ¼ to ⅓ cup sliced or chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup finely chopped french beans
- ¼ cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum (green bell pepper)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or white pepper powder, add as required
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce or add as required
- 3 cups water or veg stock
- 6 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoon water (for a slight thicker consistency in the soup - dissolve 7 to 8 teaspoon corn starch in 3 tablespoon water)
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar or regular vinegar
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) for garnish - optional
- salt as required
for the fried noodles - optional
- ⅓ cup cooked noodles
- oil for frying as required
stir frying veggies
- First chop all the veggies and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan and add the chopped fresh red chilies, garlic and ginger.
- Saute for a minute and then add chopped onions. Saute again for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped french beans and chopped mushrooms.
- Stir fry on a medium to high flame till the mushrooms get lightly browned from the edges.
- Then add grated carrots, shredded cabbage, finely chopped capsicum/bell pepper & celery.
- Stir fry on a medium to high flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
making manchow soup
- In the meantime, if you have cooked noodles, then add them to oil for frying. This is an optional step.
- Fry the noodles till they are crisp. Drain the fried noodles on kitchen paper towels.
- Once the veggies are stir fried for 3 to 4 minutes, then add soy sauce and black pepper. Stir.
- Now add water or veg stock.
- Season with salt. Allow the soup to come to a simmer on a medium flame. Keep a check on the amount of salt as soy sauce already has a lot of salt.
- Meanwhile. Make a smooth paste of the corn starch with water.
- Add the corn starch paste to the soup. Stir very well and let the soup thicken.
- Lastly add rice vinegar or regular vinegar. Switch off the flame. Stir and check the taste of soup. Add more seasonings like salt, black pepper or soy sauce or vinegar if required.
- Stir and serve manchow soup hot topped with fried noodles.
- You can also mix chopped cilantro leaves towards the end or serve manchow soup garnished with cilantro leaves.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later