instant mango pickle recipe with video and step by step photos – this kerala style instant mango pickle recipe is quick and easy to make. the pickle is prepared with raw unripe mangoes, mustard seeds, curry leaves and some spice powders. i have learnt this recipe from my mom. best part of this pickle recipe is that it can be made in less than 15 mins.
in the step by steps, i have used 4 small green mangoes which together weighed 300 grams. in the video, i have used one large mango which weighed about 300 grams. depending on the size of the raw mangoes, the number of mangoes will vary. so when you chop the mangoes, you should get about 1 to 1.25 cups of chopped mangoes.
you can also easily increase the quantity of the recipe by doubling the ingredients mentioned in the recipe card below. pickles are favorite in our house be it lemon pickle or green chili pickle or bitter gourd pickle. personally i love this mango pickle as its made quickly and can be made in small quantities. few more mango pickle recipes from regional indian cuisine are:
- punjabi mango pickle (sour, spiced and tasty punjabi style mango pickle)
- gujarati mango pickle (does not require sunlight. easy & quick mango pickle to make.)
- mango avakaya recipe (popular mango pickle from andhra pradesh).
- aam ka achar recipe (sweet and sour punjabi mango pickle)
pickles go great as a condiment or side dish along with dal-rice, veggies or pulao. in fact some people even love to club pickles with rotis, theplas and parathas. i remember some of my school mates getting theplas and pickle in their lunch boxes. also not to forget how much we used to enjoy eating this combination of pickle and theplas in school.
since mango season will fade soon, i thought of making this instant pickle. this pickle also doesn’t require any sunlight or much of cooking process. so this mango pickle could be made any day during the mango season. at room temperature, this will last for 1 to 2 days. if you directly keep in the fridge after the pickle is prepared, then it will last for about a week.
serve this kerala style mango pickle with dal-rice, curd-rice, khichdi, sambar-rice, veg pulao and veg biryani. i have updated the post with a quick video.
instant mango pickle video recipe (47 seconds video):
mango pickle recipe below:
- 300 grams unripe mangoes or 4 small green mangoes - peeled and chopped or 1 to 1.25 cups chopped and peeled raw unripe green mangoes (keri or kairi or kachcha aam)
- 3 teaspoons kashmiri red chili powder or red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon salt or add as per taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sesame oil, about ¼ cup, add more if required, can use sunflower oil or mustard oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- keep all the ingredients ready for the mango pickle.
- rinse the mangoes and then dry them with a clean kitchen towel. there should be no trace of moisture on the mangoes. peel their skin. to peel the raw mangoes are optional.
- chop the mangoes into bite sized pieces or cubes. chopping is a bit tough, so use a good knife and be careful of your hands.
- the chopped raw mangoes should be about 1 cup.
- place them in a mixing bowl or wide dish.
- sprinkle 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder and salt on the chopped raw mangoes.
- mix all of them nicely with a spoon.
- the masalas should nicely coat the chopped raw mangoes.
heat 4 tablespoons sesame oil in a small vessel or tadka pan.
add 2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds and ½ tsp asafoetida.
- once they start crackling, add the curry leaves.
fry for 1 to 2 seconds and then switch off the flame
- pour this hot tempering or hot oil mixture over the masala coated raw mangoes.
- mix everything with a spoon.
allow to cool and store mango pickle in clean, sterilized glass bottles.
the instant mango pickle is ready, serve them as a side dish with your favorite meals.
how to make instant mango pickle recipe:
1. keep all the ingredients ready for the mango pickle. i prefer to keep everything handy as this fastens the cooking process.
2. rinse 4 small (300 grams) and then dry them with a clean kitchen towel. there should be no trace of moisture on the mangoes. in the video above, i have used 1 large mango which weighed about 300 grams. whereas in the step by step pics, i have used 4 small mangoes and they weighed 300 grams in total.
3. peel their skin. this is an optional step.
4. chop the mangoes into bite sized pieces or cubes. chopping is a bit tough, so use a good knife and be careful of your hands. chop them into cubes. the chopped raw mangoes should be about a cup. place them in a mixing bowl or a wide dish. after chopping, you should get about 1 to 1.25 cups of chopped raw mangoes.
5. sprinkle 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 3 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder and 1 teaspoon salt on the chopped raw mangoes. if you want you can reduce the kashmiri red chilli powder for less spiciness.
6. mix everything nicely with a spoon.
7. the masalas should nicely coat the chopped raw mangoes. take the mangoes in a heat proof bowl.
8. heat 4 tablespoons sesame oil (gingelly oil) in a small vessel or kadai. you can also use mustard oil or sunflower oil.
9. add 2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds and ½ tsp asafoetida/hing powder.
10. once they start crackling, add 8 to 10 curry leaves. fry for 1 to seconds and then switch off the flame.
12. mix everything very well with a spoon.
12. allow mango pickle to cool and store in a clean, sterilized glass bottle. instant mango pickle is ready. serve this kerala style mango pickle as a condiment with your favorite meal. refrigerate for later use.
This post was last modified on May 17, 2018, 12:44 pm