rajma sundal is a south indian stir fried dish made with rajma beans. sundal is basically a dry legume-lentil preparation. here the whole spices are sauted first and to which the cooked legumes are added…. and then lastly fresh coconut is added.
sundals are prepared during janmashtami puja or ganesh chaturthi or navratri fasting in south india. if you love sundals then you can prepare them for any occasion. they make a quick and guilt free snack or brunch. they can also be had as a side dish with rotis or even with curd-rice or just plain sambar or rasam and rice.
sundals are a hit at home. so when the hubby tasted the green peas sundal and the chana sundal, he asked me to make rajma sundal. why rajma? coz rajma or kidney beans are one of his favorite beans. i took a long time to make this rajma sundal, although it was on my mind.
usually with rajma we make dal makhani or punjabi rajma masala or this easy rajma recipe. on some rare occasions i make rajma kababs or rajma pulao. i already have requests to make sundal with black chickpeas, black eyed peas, bengal gram and peanuts too. again all four ingredients being hubby’s favorites.
rajma sundal recipe details below:
- 1 cup kidney beans/rajma
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 dry red chilies
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 to 3 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 12-15 curry leaves/kadi patta
- salt as required
- rinse and soak the rajma or kidney beans overnight in enough water.
- drain and pressure cook the soaked rajma with 1 tsp salt and 4-5 cups water till they are completely cooked.
- drain and keep them aside.
- heat oil in a pan.
- add the mustard and urad dal.
- the mustard seeds will crackle and the urad dal will get browned.
- they almost take the same time to cook on a low flame.
- immediately, add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida.
- fry for 10-15 seconds.
- now add the cooked rajma beans and salt.
- stir and saute for 4-5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- switch off the flame and add the coconut.
- stir well.
- serve the rajma sundal as prashad or naivedyam.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media