Pattani sundal recipe – this is a South Indian recipe of green peas sundal. sundals are legume or lentil preparations made during ganesha chaturthi or the nine days of the Navratri festival in south India.
Basically they are a dry legume-lentil preparation spiced, tempered along with fresh coconut.
In north India, during the Navratri fasting period we don’t make anything from legumes or lentils or cereals. Well in the south it is different 🙂
The only dish that we make at home with legumes is the Kala chana – a dry preparation with black chickpeas and this is made during the last day of the Navratri along with Suji ka halwa – semolina pudding and Pooris.
Since I have many South Indian readers as well, I decided to make and post the Green peas sundal recipe.
Now in tamil language this Green peas sundal is called as Pattani sundal. it is made from dried green peas. You soak the green peas overnight and boil or pressure cook them the next day.
You can also make this recipe with dried white peas or even Kidney beans, black eyed beans, White chickpeas, Black chickpeas, Sweet corn and any lentil or legume… When making with mung dal or Chana dal, ensure that the dals are separate but cooked well. It should not be mish mash.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- ¾ cup dry green peas
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 to 2 broken red chilies
- 1 green chili
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoon freshly grated coconut
- regular salt as required - you can also add rock salt (sendha namak)
cooking green peas
- First rinse the dry green peas in water.
- Soak in enough water overnight.
- Next day pressure cook the peas with water and salt for 8-9 whistles or till done.
- Drain water and keep the cooked peas aside.
making pattani sundal
- In a pan heat oil.
- Fry the mustard seeds, till they crackle and pop.
- Now add the cumin seeds and fry them.
- Add the broken red chilies, green chili, curry leaves.
- Stir and fry for half a minute.
- Now add asafoetida. stir and then add the cooked green peas.
- Add salt and stir well.
- Keep on stirring for another 5-6 minutes till the whole mixture looks dry.
- Lastly add grated coconut and serve pattani sundal as naivedyam.
- Since a fasting recipe, I have not added onions to it. But when not making for fasting, then you can add onions while frying the spices and cook till soft.
- Raw grated or shredded mango can also be added to the sundal as a topping.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later