palak paneer recipe with step by step photos
this palak paneer recipe was requested by many readers and was in drafts for a long time. i had kept in the drafts since the final images were not so good. but then i have not made palak paneer since a long time, so thought of publishing the post.
this recipe is my mom’s version of making palak paneer. it has become a favorite with hubbs too, especially since he does not like palak much.
vegans can substitute paneer with tofu in this palak paneer recipe. i have made and had palak tofu many times and even with tofu, the palak gravy tastes good.
lets start step by step palak paneer recipe:
making the spinach/palak puree:
1. rinse the spinach/palak very well in water.
2. boil water in a pan with some salt. switch off the fire and add the spinach/palak leaves in the hot water. close with a lid and let the spinach leaves sit in the water for 2-3 mins.
3. drain the blanched spinach leaves.
4. immediately add the spinach leaves in a pan or bowl containing ice cold water. this method helps in preserving the green color of the spinach.
5. drain and then puree the spinach in a blender or a hand held blender with ginger, garlic and green chilies.
making the palak curry:
6. make a smooth palak puree.
7. heat oil or ghee in a pan or kadai. fry the cumin first.
8. then add the tej patta/indian bay leaf and onions.
9. saute till the onions get golden. add the garlic and saute till its raw aroma goes away.
10. now add the chopped tomatoes. saute till the tomatoes soften.
11. add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and asafoetida/hing. stir and saute for some seconds.
12. add the spinach puree. add some water if required.
13. simmer for 6-7 minutes or more till the spinach is cooked.
14. add salt.
15. lastly add garam masala.
16. stir and add the paneer cubes.
17. cook the spinach/palak gravy till the paneer cubes become soft.
18. add cream and stir.
19. simmer for 30 seconds or a minute. at this stage you can also add some crushed kasuri methi leaves. adding kasuri methi is an optional step.
i have made a video with the images, showing the step by step method of making palak paneer recipe. my voice plays in the background. there is also a background noise. i tried hard to eliminate the noise, but its still there. however, i hope you enjoy the video.
palak paneer recipe video:
palak paneer recipe below:
- 1 bunch fresh spinach/palak
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 garlic, roughly chopped (optional)
- ½ inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 small or medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 small or medium sized tomato, chopped
- 4-5 garlic/lahsun, finely chopped
- ½ or ¾ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- ½ tsp garam masala powder (add more if required)
- 1 bay leaf/tej patta
- 200 gms paneer or tofu
- 1 or 2 tbsp cream, low fat 25% to 35% (i used amul cream)
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 tsp kasuri methi leaves/dry fenugreek leaves (optional)
- salt as required
- water as required
- a few teaspoons of cream or butter for topping the palak paneer (optional)
- rinse the spinach very well in water.
- boil water in a pan with some salt.
- switch off the fire and add the spinach leaves in the hot water.
- close with a lid and let the spinach leaves sit in the water for 2-3 mins.
- drain and immediately add the leaves in a pan or bowl containing ice cold water.
- this method helps in preserving the green color of the spinach.
- drain and then puree the spinach in a blender or hand held blender with ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- make a smooth puree.
- heat oil or ghee in a pan or kadai.
- fry the cumin first.
- then add the bay leaves and onions.
- saute till the onions become browned.
- now add the garlic and saute till the raw aroma goes away.
- add the tomatoes. saute till the tomatoes become soft.
- add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and asafoetida.
- stir and saute for some seconds.
- add the spinach puree. add some water if required.
- simmer for 6-7 minutes or more till the spinach is cooked.
- lastly add salt and garam masala.
- stir and add the paneer cubes.
- cook the gravy till the paneer cubes become soft and succulent. about 1 to 2 minutes.
- add cream and stir.
- simmer for 30 seconds or a minute.
- at this stage you can also add some crushed kasuri methi leaves.
- stir and serve the palak paneer hot with some rotis, naan or jeera rice.
- you can top the palak paneer with some butter or cream also while serving.