navratan korma – an easy and nutritious recipe. there are both vegetarian as well as non vegetarian versions of navratan korma recipe. this one is a vegetarian version of making navratan korma.
navratan korma is one recipe which i always dreaded making…. just the name of this dish would scare me. it seemed to me a very royal, rich and time consuming recipe. i was wrong. it is such an easy recipe but yes it is rich, royal and delicious. you can consider making navratan korma for special occasions like expecting a guest at home, birthday party or during festive times like diwali, holi and so on.
do you know why this recipe is called as navratan korma??? the dish is named as a tribute to the original navratan- the nine jewels or the nine courtiers of the great mughal emperor akbar.
by the way for all those who do not know hindi, nav means nine and ratan means a jewel. so the english translation of navratan is nine jewels. and korma or kurma is a dish with a yogurt, cream, nuts and seeds paste or a coconut base.
so you see this navratan korma recipe is a dish made with nine jewels….. these nine jewels can be an assortment of nine veggies or nine garnishing ingredients.
i only had 6 veggies and 1 fruit the day i made the korma…. yup…. one fruit that is added to navratan korma is pineapple. i have had navratan korma many times in the mumbai restaurants and always without fail, there would be pineapple in the korma.
one a side note i loved the pineapple in the korma but the hubby did not. so don’t add pineapple if you do not like a sweet taste in a creamy dish. alternatively paneer can also be added to the navratan korma.
for the garnish i had 9 ingredients. the garnish is healthy and nutritious…
however, what goes in the making of navratan korma is nutritious, but it rich and heavy too. there is cream, yogurt and also an awesome paste. a healthy paste made from melon seeds, cashew, almonds and poppy seeds.
navratan korma is an easy recipe because after you are done with making the paste…. all you have to do is brown the onions with whole garam masala, add the paste, curd, veggies and let the korma simmer till the veggies are cooked. it a heavenly aroma when the veggies are being simmered.
all in all this shahi navratan korma is a dish to be thoroughly enjoyed on festive occasions like diwali or holi. so i thought of sharing this rich and royal recipe with all of you on the occasion of holi. have adapted this recipe from jiggs kalra’s prashad – cooking with indian masters.
navratan korma recipe details are below:
- 1 or 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 1 large potato
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 8-9 babycorn, chopped
- 2 thick round pineapple slices, chopped
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds/khus khus
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup cashew
- 2 tbsp melon seeds/magaz
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced
- 2-3 green chilies, chopped
- ½ tbsp chopped or crushed ginger
- 1 and half cup curd/yogurt
- ½ cup cream
- ½ tsp mace and green cardamom powder ( just crush a pinch of mace and 2-3 green cardamoms in a mortar-pestle)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 or 2 tsp red chili powder
- 4-5 tbsp ghee
- salt as required
- 5 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- a pinch of mace
- 10-12 pistachois
- 10 cashewnuts
- 10 almonds
- 10 walnut halves
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp melon seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- a pinch of saffron strands
- ½ tbsp julienned ginger
- soak poppy seeds for 30 minutes in water.
- blanch the almonds and remove the skin.
- make a fine paste of the blanched almonds, poppy seeds, cashew-nuts, melon seeds with around ½ cup of water.
- blanch the almonds and pistachois. later remove the skin.
- soak the almonds and pistachois with the cashew, sunflower seeds and raisins in warm water for 15 minutes.
- you can either chop the dry fruits or halve them. but keep the raisins whole.
- heat ghee in a handi or a deep pan. add all the whole garam masala mentioned above and fry till they crackle.
- add the sliced onions and brown them.
- now add the ginger and green chilies and stir for a minute.
- lower the flame or close the flame if you want. we will be adding turmeric and red chili powder. care should be taken they do not get burnt.
- add both the turmeric and red chili powder.
- add the veggies, curd and the paste.
- add salt
- add ½ cup or 1 cup water depending on what consistency you want of the gravy
- mix well.
- cover and simmer the veggies till they are cooked.
- once the veggies are cooked, add the cream and stir it with the rest of the korma for a minute.
- thats it. sprinkle the mace and cardamom powder and half of the garnish.
- stir and serve the navratan korma with the remaining garnish.
- the navratan korma goes well with jeera rice or roti or naan.
1. to avoid the burning of red chili powder and turmeric powder whilst frying, just dissolve these two spice powders in 2-3 tbsp of water and then add to the browned onions.
2. if you do not have melon seeds, still you can make the korma with the rest of the ingredients. just increase 1 tbsp of almonds and 1 tbsp of cashew.
3. always soak the poppy seeds before blending. or else they take a lot of time to be ground finely.