masoor dal or pink lentils – a simple yet tasty masoor dal recipe. this is an easy masoor dal recipe and good for everyday cooking.
masoor dal is another dal that is often made in indian homes. there are lot of dals or lentils used in indian cuisine in a variety of ways. dal is the generic term used for all lentils in india. also the soup or stew like preparation made with any lentil is called as dal.
so there are many many variations of dal with different lentils being used. each region of india have their own variations. many times i add these lentils with pigeon pea lentils/arhar dal to make dal tadka or combine it with spinach to make palak dal.
these lentils are also used in combination with other 4 lentils to make panchmel dal – a dal made with 5 lentils. some people also add this dal in veggie dishes.
serve the masoor dal with some steamed basmati rice, pickle and papad and you have a comforting indian meal. even a side vegetable raita, cucumber raita or indian veg salad can be accompanied with the masoor dal.
masoor dal recipe below:
- ¾ cup masoor dal or pink lentils
- 2 cups water for pressure cooking the dal
- ½ or 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic, crushed or finely chopped (lahsun)
- ¼ inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- 1 green chilies, chopped or slit (hari mirch)
- 1 to 2 whole dry red chilies, (sabut lal mirch)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder (organic or homemade chili powder can be just ¼ teaspoon as they are very strong)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon garam masala powder (homemade garam masala powder can be just ¼ teaspoon)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) - crushed (optional)
- 1.5 to 2 cups water or as required
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- salt as required
pick and rinse the dal well.
pressure cook the masoor dal with 2 cups water, till they become soft and mushy.
the dal also can be cooked in a pot.
just soak the dal for 30-40 minutes, so that they cook faster if cooking in a pot.
adjust the quantity of water as required
when the dal is cooked, beat with a wooden spoon or wired whisk lightly.
keep the cooked dal aside.
in another pan or pot, heat oil or ghee. fry the cumin seeds till browned.
then add onions and fry till they are light browned.
add chopped ginger and garlic. stir and fry for 10-15 seconds.
add green chilies and red chilies. stir.
add all the dry spice powders one by one including asafoetida and stir.
add the tomatoes and fry till the oil separates and the tomatoes become soft.
add the cooked dal. pour 1.5 to 2 cups water. you can adjust the quantity of water as required.
add salt and stir. simmer the masoor dal for 6-7 minutes more on a low or medium flame till you get the desired consistency.
this dal is neither thick nor thin and has a medium consistency.
lastly add kasuri methi and simmer for 1 minute.
towards the end add lemon juice and 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and stir the masoor dal.
serve masoor dal hot with steamed basmati rice or roti or chappati.
you can also garnish masoor dal with coriander leaves if you want while serving the dal.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes