lahsuni bhindi or garlic bhindi recipe – this is an very easy and spicy bhindi recipe and won’t take much of your time.
as far as bhindi or okra is concerned, i am always open to new recipes. this lahsuni bhindi is an example of such a recipe.
flavored with garlic, chilies and onions…. a spicy bhindi recipe that goes extremely well with rotis or phulkas. i read the recipe in a cook book and adapted it to suit our taste preferences.
the original recipe has used 10 green chilies for 200 gms of bhindi which i think is a way too hot and spicy for us to handle. so i added just 1 green chili and this did make the bhindi a bit spiced up.
this lahsuni bhindi recipe make a good indian tiffin box lunch along with some soft chapatis or whole wheat bread. you can also serve lahsuni bhindi as a side veggie dish with dal-rice or curry-rice combination.
garlic bhindi or garlic okra recipe below:
- 200 gms bhindi/okra/lady finger
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped or sliced garlic/lahsun
- 1 green chili, chopped or slit
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder/amchur
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- some chopped coriander or mint for garnishing
- rinse, wipe and dry the bhindi/okra.
- slice each bhindi vertically, into two or four slices.
- smaller okra can be sliced into two and larger ones can be sliced into four.
- heat oil in a pan or kadai. crackle the cumin first.
- add the garlic and asafoetida. fry for 15-20 seconds.
- then add the sliced onions and saute till they become translucent.
- add turmeric powder, green chilies and stir.
- add the bhindi. stir in salt.
- cover the pan and let the bhindi cook for 5 minutes.
- remove the lid and add the red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, dry mango powder. stir well.
- cook without any lid till the oil starts separating and the bhindi has cooked.
- if the okra mixture starts to stick to the pan, then sprinkle some water and continue to cook.
- stir for some times, when the bhindi is cooking.
- garnish lahsuni bhindi with some coriander or mint leaves and serve lahsuni bhindi with roti or phulkas.
Follow us on Social Media