this recipe of dry kala chana is made during the kanjak ceremony on the last day of the navratri. this is a special punjabi recipe and the dry kala chana is served with pooris on this day. the kanjaks are served the kala chana with pooris. and after they have been served the rest of the family has the pooris with kala chana. along with kala chana, sooji ka halwa is also made on this day.
while i made this kala chana recipe on a regular day for dinner and we had it with chapatis. i have modified the original recipe of my mil and the result was a chatpata kala chana. have the dry kala chana with the zing of lime and its great. good during the monsoons to have a bowl of kala chana with or without chapati or bread. this recipe can be had for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner.
when made during kanjak only turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt and oil is added to this recipe.
you could have sookha kala chana with puri, roti, naan, bhatura or even plain bread. the leftover chana can be easily added as a stuffing inside bread, topped with slices of onion, tomato, cheese and grilled/toasted and you have an amazing chana cheese sandwich ready. this is how i usually use the leftover kala chana for breakfast.
this is a step by step recipe on how to make kala chana. it was dark and raining this day. thus the kitchen was dark and i have yellow lights in the kitchen. hence a few step by step photographs have not come out very well…. alas
but we still move on with the recipe of sookha kala chana
dry kala chana/ sookha kala chana: serves 4-5
cleaning and soaking the kala chana: 8-9 hours
cooking time: 40-45 mins
ingredients for kala chana recipe:
- 2 cups kala chana/black chickpeas
- 1 inch ginger julienned
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chili chopped or slit
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2tsp cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp amchur powder or powdered pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 lemon sliced
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- black salt
method to make dry kala chana:
- pick the chana to remove any stones. wash them in running water for 3-4 times and then soak the kala chana overnight. they become plump and all the wrinkles on them disappear after they are completely soaked.
- the next day add water to the chana.
- and boil the chana in a pressure cooker with 1 tsp salt for 20-25 minutes till the chana is cooked completely. strain the chana.
- in a pan heat 3 tbsp oil. splutter the cumin seeds.
- now add chana and mix well.
- add the ginger julienne and chopped green chili. i added some 1/2 cup of the chana stock to the chanas so that they do not stick to the pan. you may or may reserve some stock if you want. in case you don’t add any water, then saute the chana on a low flame so as to avoid burning.
- add all the dry masalas and black salt to the chana.
- mix it well and let the chana cook in the masala for a couple of minutes. remember to keep on stirring so that the dry chana masala do not stick to the bottom of the pan. garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- and serve sookha kala chana hot with wedges of lemon. enjoy .
sookha kala chana recipe details are below: