jeera aloo or aloo jeera is one of the simplest fasting recipe. jeera aloo is easy to make and easy to serve fasting recipe.
i love all the fasting food that is prepared during the vrat season and usually i would end up making these. a few recipes, i have already posted like:
the last two dishes of dry kala chana and saffron halwa is made in our house on the last day for the kanjak ceremony. both the sookha kala chana and suji halwa are served with pooris.
i had a few more recipes that are made during the navratri fasting period, but unfortunately all that data was lost when my laptop crashed. and i haven’t been able to make those recipes again, as i did not get some of the ingredients like water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta) and buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) where i was living before.
the jeera aloo, during the fast is had with buckwheat flour pooris. otherwise, normally you have it with wheat flour pooris or chapatis or parathas.
jeera aloo recipe details below:
- 5-6 medium size potatoes, boiled
- 1 and half tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 3 to 4 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp oil
- sendha namak/rock salt for taste
- peel the boiled potatoes and cut into cubes.
- in a pan, heat oil.
- add the cumin seeds and let these sizzle in the oil.
- now add the green chilies and fry for a minute.
- add the potato cubes and mix it well with the cumin seeds and chilies.
- sprinkle the turmeric powder, red chili powder and rock salt.
- saute the potatoes for 2-3 minutes.
- add the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
- mix the whole mixture well for a minute.
- serve the jeera aloo hot.