gobi pakora or cauliflower fritters – one more pakora recipe for the monsoon time and more to come.
monsoon is one of the best time to enjoy fried food like pakoras, chole bhature, tikkis, chaat, samosa and so on. i know many folks don’t like fried foods. if you are calorie conscious or avoiding fried food, then the option is to bake the pakoras, which i have tried but not with successful results.
since monsoons are in full swing here, i am making a lot of fried snacks these days at home. its always better to enjoy the snacks made at home than to eat outside during monsoon season.
but in this recipe i have marinated the gobi before deep frying them. the idea came to me when i had made mushroom tikka with besan/gram flour where the mushrooms were marinated first and then grilled.
here the gobi/cauliflower is marinated with the spices first and then dipped in the gram flour batter and fried. these gobi pakora are crisp in taste and should ideally be eaten hot. if you are having them as snacks then pair them with a cup of hot masala chai or coffee.
gobi pakoras can be served as a side dish or even as starters with tomato sauce or pudina chutney or coriander chutney. they can be had plain or with roti or even with bread. i served the gobi pakoras with dry pomegranate chutney and some rotis.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
gobi pakora recipe details below:
- 1 medium sized cauliflower or gobi
- 2 cups besan/gram flour
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp carom seeds/ajwain
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- a pinch of asafoetida powder/hing
- a pinch of turmeric powder or haldi
- a pinch of baking soda or baking powder (optional)
- water - add as required to make a thick flowing batter
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying the pakoras
- rock salt or regular salt as required
- 1 tsp chaat masala to sprinkle from above
- ½ tsp lemon jucice to be sprinkled (optional)
- 1 or 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- boil enough water with salt.
- break or chop the cauliflower in medium sized florets.
- rinse them well and add them to the boiling water.
- switch off the flame and let the cauliflower florets be immersed in the water for 10-12 minutes.
- drain and then marinate the cauliflower with red chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala powder. mix very well and keep aside for 8-10 minutes.
- in another bowl, make a smooth batter with the besan/gram flour, asafoetida, baking soda or baking powder, salt and water.
- heat oil in a kadai or deep fryer.
- take each marinated cauliflower and dip in the batter.
- coat each floret with the batter and add these in the medium hot oil.
- fry till the pakoras are crisp and golden evenly.
- drain on paper towels.
- serve the gobi pakora hot or warm with any green chutney or sauce, sprinkled with chaat masala, lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media