eggless orange cake recipe with step by step photos – here’s an easy, simple and no fuss recipe to make vegan and eggless orange cake. the cake has the orangish flavor with a light orange color. a soft and light cake.
first time we had an orange cake and it reminded us of the orange cream biscuits that we get here, in india.
i have made the orange cake with fresh orange juice but you can even use readymade orange juice. the quantity is a medium sized bar of cake enough for 3-4 people.
you can even frost the cake with some orange whipped cream or butter icing. i kept it plain as we like it this way. even orange muffins can be made from this cake batter.
this orange cake can be baked both in regular oven and in the microwave oven with convection mode.
i have made this cake with whole wheat flour & powdered jaggery as well as sugar. you can also use all purpose flour and fine or powdered sugar. this is not a heavy cake as i have used very less oil (¼ cup). so even after having the cake, you won’t feel heavy. a healthy recipe of an orange cake.
lets start step by step eggless orange cake recipe:
1. preheat your oven to 180 degrees C. sieve 1 cup whole wheat flour with 1 tbsp corn starch/custard powder, a pinch of salt, ½ tsp baking powder and ½ baking soda. keep this sieved mixture aside.
2. in a bowl add the ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup oil. you can also use softened butter instead of oil.
3. with an electric beater or hand beater or a wooden spoon, beat this mixture of oil/butter and sugar till well blended and creamy. i have made this cake with jaggery too. so you can add powdered or grated jaggery too instead of sugar.
4. i made fresh orange juice. you can use ready juice too. for making fresh juice, use an electric juicer. you can also blend the orange segments (seeds removed) and strain the juice like i have done. i used three medium oranges to get a bit more than 1 cup juice.
5. here is the strained fresh orange juice.
6. add 1 cup of the orange juice to the sugar and oil mixture. if using whole wheat flour, then 1 cup of orange juice works well and if using all purpose flour, then you can add about ¾ cup of orange juice.
7. stir very well.
8. now add the sieved flour mixture and ½ tsp orange zest. you can add about 1 tsp orange zest too. to get a more dominant flavor of oranges, add orange extract or essence.
9. mix everything very well. there should be no lumps in the cake batter.
10. here the orange cake batter is ready.
11. pour the batter in a lined or greased cake tin of about 7×4 inches. use a spatula to scrape the batter from sides and add it to the cake pan.
12. tap the pan from the sides so that excess air bubbles are released and the batter becomes even in the pan.
13. bake in a preheated oven for 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes.
14. when warm or cool, serve orange cake with tea or coffee. you can wrap the remaining cake and keep in the fridge. this cake stays good for about a week in the fridge.
if you are looking for more eggless cake recipes then do check vanilla cake, plum cake recipe, christmas fruit cake, banana chocolate cake, chocolate banana carrot cake, banana cake and mawa cake recipe.
eggless orange cake recipe below:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or all purpose flour/maida or half-half of both the flours
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ to 1 cup orange juice, if using whole wheat flour then add 1 cup orange juice and if using all purpose flour, then add ¾ cup
- ½ cup powdered jaggery organic unrefined cane sugar or regular fine or powdered sugar (add more if required)
- ¼ cup olive oil or butter or any vegetable oil
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp eggless vanilla custard powder or corn flour/corn starch
- preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- sieve the whole wheat flour with corn starch, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- in a bowl add the sugar and oil.
- with an electric beater or hand beater or a wooden spoon, beat this mixture of oil/butter and sugar/jaggery till well blended and creamy.
- now add the orange juice and stir very well.
- mix in the sieved flour mixture very well, so that all the flour is incorporated evenly.
- pour the batter in a lined or greased cake tin of about 7x4 inches.
- bake in a preheated oven for 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes.
- check with a tooth pick if its comes out clean or not.
- once the cake becomes warm, remove it gently from the pan and keep on a wire rack for cooling.
- serve eggless orange cake with tea or coffee.