here’s an easy to make eggless orange cake. the recipe is simple and no fuss one. its full of orange flavor with a light orangish color. the cake is soft and light.
first time we had an orange cake and it reminded us of the orange cream biscuits that we get here, in india.
i have made the cake with fresh orange juice but you can even use readymade orange juice.
the quantity is a medium sized bar of cake enough for 3-4 people.
you can even frost the cake with some orange whipped cream or butter icing. i kept it plain as we like it this way. even orange muffins can be made from this cake batter.
this orange cake can be baked both in regular oven and in the microwave oven with convection mode.
i made the cake with whole wheat flour & powdered jaggery, but you can easily substitute all purpose flour and fine or powdered sugar. this is not a heavy cake as i have used very less oil (1/4 cup)… so even after having the cake, you won’t feel heavy. a healthy recipe of an orange cake.
you might also love to check these eggless cake recipes:
- Eggless Plum Cake Recipe
- Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake
- Vegan Banana Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Banana Carrot Cake
recipe details for eggless orange cake below:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or all purpose flour/maida or half-half of both the flours
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ½ cup powdered jaggery organic unrefined cane sugar or regular fine or powdered sugar (add more if required)
- ¼ cup olive oil or butter
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp eggless vanilla custard powder or corn flour/corn starch
- preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- sieve the whole wheat flour with salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- in a bowl add the sugar and oil.
- with an electric beater or hand beater or a wooden spoon, beat this mixture of oil/butter and sugar till well blended and creamy.
- now add the orange juice and orange zest.
- stir well.
- fold in sieved flour and custard powder/corn starch.
- after folding, you can even lightly beat the cake mixture.
- pour the batter in a lined or greased cake tin of about 7×4 inches.
- bake in a preheated oven for 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes.
- serve warm with tea or coffee.
if using fresh orange juice, then make the juice just before you add it to the oil-sugar mixture. keeping orange juice for a long time can result in it getting bitter and spoiling the taste of the cake.