besan ladoo recipe with step by step photos – i don’t think i need to write anything about besan ladoo. every indian knows about besan ladoo. it is one of the most common sweets made during every festive or special occasions in india.
for my international readers who are new to the words besan and ladoo – basically these are sweetened roasted chickpea flour balls spiced with cardamom and nutmeg. besan ladoos are delicious and also make for a nice sweet treat.
this besan ladoo recipe is simple and easy to make. just some wrist muscle power is required to stir the ladoo mixture 🙂
to make these ladoos you can use either powdered sugar or regular fine granule sugar. if you use the latter then the ladoos have a grainy texture and has its own taste and charm. for a smooth softer textured ladoos, add powdered sugar.
i usually add a little extra ghee to make the ladoos. however these besan ladoos can be made with ¼ cup ghee too. the ladoos can be made with oil too, but while making the ladoo balls, they don’t hold shape as well as the ones made with ghee.
apart from this method, i have also shared the other way of making besan ladoos. in the other version the besan is roasted first for few minutes and then ghee is added. personally, i prefer this other method in which we dry roast the besan in ghee for some minutes. you can make the besan ladoo with either way.
besan ladoo recipe details are below:
- 2 cups besan (gram flour)
- ½ to ⅔ cup organic ghee (clarified butter) - do add more ghee if required
- ⅔ to ¾ cup powdered sugar OR superfine sugar as required - i added organic unrefined cane sugar
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi or hari elaichi)
- 1 tablespoon raisins (kishmish)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashews (kaju) or almonds (badam) (optional)
- a few chironji seeds (charoli) or cashew halves to garnish (optional)
- heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan or kadai.
- add the besan and stir.
- stir and continue to roast for 6-7 minutes on a low flame, till you start getting a nutty fragrance from the besan.
- continue to roast on a low flame till the color has changed and you start seeing the ghee, beginning to release from the besan. if the mixture looks dry to you, then add more ghee.
- approx 14-15 minutes. the aroma of the roasted besan will be clearly felt.
- add sugar. stir & mix for 5-7 minutes remember to keep on stirring so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan and burns. switch off the flame.
- then add dry fruits and cardamom powder and stir well.
- let the besan mixture warm or cool down.
- don't cover the pan with any lid while the mixture is cooling down.
- once the besan ladoo mixture cools down or is warm enough for you to handle, then make small or medium sized besan ladoos from the mixture.
- serve besan ladoos immediately or store them in an airtight container.
if you are not able to make the ladoos if the mixture is dry, then add 1 or 2 tbsp of melted hot ghee in the mixture and mix well.
if you are not able to make the ladoos of the mixture is too smooth and does not hold shape. then let the mixture cool and make the ladoos. if still not able to, then add refrigerate the mixture for 20-30 minutes. after refrigerating the mixture becomes firmer and then you can form the ladoos easily.
remember too do the entire roasting on a low flame. also continuous stirring is required so as to get a uniform cooking and even color.
lets start step by step besan ladoo recipe:
1: heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan. add the besan and stir. keep on stirring and continue to roast for 6-7 minutes on a low flame, till you start getting a nutty fragrance from the besan (chickpea flour).
2: continue to roast besan on a low flame till the color has changed and the ghee starts to release from the besan. approx 14-15 minutes and the aroma of the roasted besan will be clearly felt. if the besan is not roasted well then you will get a raw taste in the ladoo. if the mixture looks dry to you, then add a few tablespoons of ghee( 1 to 3 tbsp or more if required).
3: add superfine sugar or powdered sugar. i added organic unrefined cane sugar.
4: stir & mix on a low flame for 5-7 minutes remember to keep on stirring so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan and burns. switch off the flame.
5: then add dry fruits and cardamom powder. i have added raisins here.
6: stir the besan mixture well. let the besan ladoo mixture get warm or cool down.
7: once the besan ladoo mixture cools down or is warm enough for you to handle, then make small or medium sized besan ladoos from the mixture.
8: serve besan ladoos immediately or store them in an airtight container.