i don’t think i need to write anything about besan ladoo. every indian knows about besan ladoo. one of the most common sweets made during every festive or special ocassions in india.
for my international readers who are new to the words besan and ladoo – basically these are sweetened roasted chickpea flour balls spiced with cardamom and nutmeg. besan ladoos are delicious and also make for a nice sweet treat.
this besan ladoo recipe is vegan, simple and easy to make. just some wrist muscle power is required to stir the ladoo mixture
i made the ladoos with sunflower oil and not ghee. but it does not make much difference to the taste & flavor. if you want you can add ghee.
the ladoos were a bit more darker in color, since at home we prefer some extra roasted & browned besan (chickpea flour).
step by step recipe for making besan ladoos:
1: mix the besan, dessicated coconut, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder. heat oil and then add this dry mixture to the oil. stir and continue to roast for 5-6 minutes on a low to medium flame, till you start getting a nutty fragrance from the besan (chickpea flour).
2: now add sugar.
3: stir & mix. continue to roast for 5-6 minutes more. remember to keep on stirring so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan and burns.
4: add dry fruits. i only had cashews and hence could only add these.
5: stir and then again continue stirring for 4-8 minutes more till the mixture changes color and the sugar has completely melted.
6: this is how the mixture is looking after it is done and left to become warm. i have over roasted the ladoo mixture as this is how we prefer at home. hence the color has darkened a bit… you don’t need to this step for so long…
7: now take portions of the besan ladoo mixture in your palm and roll into medium or small sized ball.
8: make all the besan ladoos this way.
9: decorate the ladoos with cashew halves or raisins on the top.
10: serve besan ladoo warm or store in an air tight container.
besan ladoo recipe details are below:
- 2 cups besan/gram flour
- ⅔ cup oil or ghee
- ¾ cup fine sugar or powdered sugar
- 3-4 cardamon pods, powdered or crushed
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp dessicated coconut or coconut powder
- dry fruits – i added only cashew as this is what i had…
- add some chopped cashews for the ladoos and keep halved cashews for the garnish
- heat oil or ghee
- mix the gram flour, coconut, nutmeg powder, cardamom powder.
- add this dry mixture to the hot oil
- stir and mix.
- continue to stir for 5-6 minutes
- now add sugar and stir.
- again roast for 5-6 minutes.
- keep on continuing to stir so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- lastly add chopped cashews or dry fruits and stir for 4-8 minutes more.
- switch off the when the whole laddoo mixture looks like smooth crumbles and is dry as well with a golden yellow color.
- let the mixture become warm and then shape the mixture into balls.
- make medium or small sized laddoos.
- keep a halved cashew on each laddoo.
- serve warm or store in an airtight box.