aloo matar curry recipe with step by step photos – a simple punjabi style aloo matar gravy which we often make at home. the recipe is an easy home style potato peas curry and not a restaurant style dish.
simple home style food is usually easier and quick to make. what i specially like about these recipes is that they are made with minimal ingredients and yet taste good. they also do not require much cooking expertise. a few more punjabi recipes in this genre – aloo gobi, aloo capsicum, aloo methi, aloo baingan, aloo french beans sabzi, gajar matar.
i prefer to use fresh peas than frozen ones in any dish where matar is one of the main ingredient. if you do not have fresh green peas, then you can use frozen ones too. here i used fresh peas which were freezed. i generally buy 2 kilos of fresh peas and then pod them. after all the green peas are collected, i store them in the freezer in an air tight box. afterwards you can use these freezed peas to make variety of matar recipes.
aloo matar recipe quick video (1.52 minutes video)
punjabi aloo matar recipe below:
aloo matar curry recipe
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
grind to paste:
- 1 medium onion OR 80 grams onions OR ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 medium to large tomatoes OR 150 grams tomatoes OR 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ inch ginger - chopped (adrak)
- 3 to 4 garlic - chopped (lahsun)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon fresh malai or low fat cream or almond or cashew powder (optional)
- 250 grams potaotes OR 3 medium or 2 large potatoes - peeled and diced
- 1 cup green peas - fresh or frozen (matar)
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or as required
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder or as required
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
- first make a smooth paste with the onion, tomato, ginger and garlic in a grinder or blender.
- no need to add any water while making the paste. keep this ground paste aside.
- heat oil in a pot or pressure cooker. first crackle the cumin seeds. then add the ground onion-tomato paste.
- stir and then add the ground almond/cashew powder or malai (cream).
- saute the ground paste till the oil releases from the sides. the masala paste will also thicken. the mixture splutters. so do cover partly with a lid. once the mixture stops spluttering, then remove the lid and saute.
- then add the asafoetida powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- stir and then add the peas and potatoes. saute for a minute. add water and salt.
- stir well and cover the pot. simmer till the potatoes and peas are cooked well. if pressure cooking then add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles till the potatoes & peas are cooked completely.
- lastly sprinkle punjabi garam masala powder or garam masala powder and stir.
- then add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- stir well and serve aloo matar curry hot with pooris, chapatis or rice.
* to make the almond or cashew powder, just grind about 8-9 almonds or cashews in a small dry grinder or coffee grinder.
step by step punjabi aloo matar curry recipe:
1. take ½ cup chopped onion, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, ½ inch ginger (chopped) and 3 to 4 garlic (chopped) in a grinder or blender jar.
2. without adding any water, grind or blend to a smooth paste.
3. heat 2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pot or pressure cooker. add ½ tsp cumin seeds and crackle them.
4. then add the ground onion-tomato paste.
5. stir well and and then add 1 tbsp malai (cream) or almond/cashew powder.
6. the masala mixture splutters, so cover the pot or cooker partly with a lid.
7. once the mixture stops spluttering, then remove the lid and saute.
8. do stir often so that the masala does not get browned from the base.
9. saute the ground paste till the oil releases from the sides. the masala paste will also thicken.
10. then add a generous pinch of asafoetida, ½ tsp red chilli powder and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. stir and mix the spice powders with the rest of the sauteed masala paste.
11. now add 1 cup green peas and 2 large potatoes (peeled & diced).
12. stir and saute for a minute.
13. pour 1.5 cups water if cooking in a pot. if pressure cooker then add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles till the potatoes & peas are cooked completely.
14. season with salt.
15. stir well and cover the pot.
16. simmer till the potatoes and peas are cooked well. if required, you can add some more water. in a pot, it will take about 25 to 30 minutes when being simmered on a low to medium flame.
17. lastly sprinkle ½ tsp garam masala powder. stir again.
17. then add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.