aloo matar curry recipe with step by step photos – a simple punjabi style aloo matar gravy which we often make at home. the recipe is an easy home style potato peas curry and not a restaurant style dish.
simple home style food is usually easier and quick to make. what i specially like about these recipes is that they are made with minimal ingredients and yet taste good. they also do not require much cooking expertise. a few more punjabi recipes in this genre – aloo gobi, aloo capsicum, aloo methi, aloo baingan.
i prefer to use fresh peas than frozen ones in any dish where matar is one of the main ingredient. if you do not have fresh green peas, then you can use frozen ones too. here i used fresh peas which were freezed. i generally buy 2 kilos of fresh peas and then pod them. after all the green peas are collected, i store them in the freezer in an air tight box.
this aloo matar curry recipe can be served with roti or parathas or pooris.
punjabi aloo matar recipe below:
- 1 medium onion, 80 grams or ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 medium to large tomatoes, 150 grams or 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ inch ginger/adrak, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic/lahsun, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tbsp fresh malai or low fat cream or almond or cashew powder (optional)
- 250 grams potaotes or 3 medium or 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- ⅔ to ¾ cup green peas/matar, fresh or frozen
- a generous pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ½ tsp red chili powder or as required
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp garam masala powder or as required
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt as required
- first make a smooth paste with the onion, tomato, ginger and garlic in a grinder or blender.
- no need to add any water while making the paste. keep this ground paste aside.
- heat oil in a pot or pressure cooker. first crackle the cumin seeds. then add the ground onion-tomato paste.
- stir and then add the ground almond/cashew powder or malai (cream).
- saute the ground paste till the oil releases from the sides. the masala paste will also thicken. the mixture splutters. so do cover partly with a lid. once the mixture stops spluttering, then remove the lid and saute.
- then add the asafoetida powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- stir and then add the peas and potatoes. saute for a minute. add water and salt.
- stir well and cover the pot. simmer till the potatoes and peas are cooked well. if pressure cooking then add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles till the potatoes & peas are cooked completely.
- lastly sprinkle punjabi garam masala powder or garam masala powder and stir.
- then add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- stir well and serve aloo matar curry hot with pooris, chapatis or rice.
step by step punjabi aloo matar curry recipe:
1. take ½ cup chopped onion, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, ½ inch ginger (chopped) and 3 to 4 garlic (chopped) in a grinder or blender jar.
2. without adding any water, grind or blend to a smooth paste.
3. heat 2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pot or pressure cooker. add ½ tsp cumin seeds and crackle them.
4. then add the ground onion-tomato paste.
5. stir well and and then add 1 tbsp malai (cream) or almond/cashew powder.
6. the masala mixture splutters, so cover the pot or cooker partly with a lid.
7. once the mixture stops spluttering, then remove the lid and saute.
8. do stir often so that the masala does not get browned from the base.
9. saute the ground paste till the oil releases from the sides. the masala paste will also thicken.
10. then add a generous pinch of asafoetida, ½ tsp red chilli powder and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. stir and mix the spice powders with the rest of the sauteed masala paste.
11. now add the ⅔ to ¾ cup green peas and 2 large potatoes (peeled & diced).
12. stir and saute for a minute.
13. pour 1.5 cups water if cooking in a pot. if pressure cooker then add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles till the potatoes & peas are cooked completely.
14. season with salt.
15. stir well and cover the pot.
16. simmer till the potatoes and peas are cooked well. if required, you can add some more water. in a pot, it will take about 25 to 30 minutes when being simmered on a low to medium flame.
17. lastly sprinkle ½ tsp garam masala powder. stir again.
17. then add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
18. stir well and serve punjabi aloo matar curry hot with pooris, chapatis or rice.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media