aloo matar gravy recipe – this is a simple punjabi style aloo matar curry which we often make at home. this is an easy home style potato peas curry and not a restaurant style dish.
when we make simple home style food then normally it is easier and quick to make and can be regularly made at home. what i specially like about these recipes is that they are made with minimal ingredients and yet tasty and does not require much cooking expertise. a few more punjabi recipes in this genre - aloo gobi, aloo capsicum, aloo methi, aloo baingan and gajar matar recipe.
i prefer to use fresh peas than frozen ones in any dish where matar is one of the main ingredient. i have already posted the recipe of dry aloo matar. i make the dry version of aloo matar when i plan to serve it with dal or a simple kadhi (yogurt based curry).
aloo matar gravy recipe below:
- 2 medium potatoes/aloos, peeled and diced
- ¾ to 1 cup peas/matar, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp almond powder * or khoya (evaporated milk) or malai (cream)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- a generous pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ½ tsp red chili powder or as required
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp punjabi garam masala or garam masala powder as required
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil
- 1.5 cups water for pressure cooking or 2 cups if making in a pan
- salt as required
- a few coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato. roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 3-4 garlic, chopped
- first make a smooth paste with the onion, tomato, ginger and garlic in a grinder or blender.
- no need to add any water while making the paste. keep this ground paste aside.
- heat oil in a pressure cooker. first crackle the cumin seeds. then add the ground paste.
- stir and then add the ground almond powder or khoya or malai (cream).
- saute the ground paste till the oil releases from the sides. the masala paste will also thicken.
- then add the asafoetida powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- stir and then add the peas and potatoes. saute for a minute. add water and salt.
- stir well and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or more till the potatoes & peas are cooked completely.
- if cooking in a pan, then cover and cook. add more water if required whilst cooking in a pan.
- lastly sprinkle the punjabi garam masala powder and stir.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve aloo matar curry hot with pooris, chapatis or rice.
this aloo matar curry can also me made in a pan. just add 2 cups water if making in a pan.