eggless apple upside down cake recipe – the cake is light, soft and taste good. this apple upside down cake is one of those eggless cake recipes that i have developed on my own.
while developing recipes, especially baking ones, sometimes they are a success and sometimes they are failures. more so when one has to make a cake or bread or muffins which does not use eggs nor dairy products.
generally when making the batter, i come to know if the cake will be a hit or miss. when i have that feeling that the cake is going to be a flop… bingo.. the cake does become a flop when baked.
so when making this apple upside down cake, i knew it would not be a disaster recipe. what i did not know was that it will be a hit at home. the cake was so much liked, that i have got apples again to make this cake for easter.
in spite of not using eggs, the cake is light, soft and has a good crumb. almost like cakes baked with eggs.
the secret to this light & soft texture in the cake is due to the addition of lemon juice and water. this cake is made up of ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen and you don’t have to buy anything special to make this cake. if you are thinking of making apple based recipes then there are few more options for you:
since jaggery is easily available in india, i have added organic powdered jaggery to the cake batter. in absence of jaggery the cake can also be sweetened with sugar or powdered sugar.
if you don’t have apples, then make the same cake with pears or pineapple and it would still be delicious. you can also use tinned pineapple slices. i have also posted recipe of eggless pineapple upside down cake.
eggless apple upside down cake recipe below:
eggless apple upside down cake recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 medium sized apples - rinsed, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoon organic demerara sugar OR brown sugar OR powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (dalchini powder)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- few drops of lemon juice
cake batter - dry ingredients:
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour (atta)
- ½ cup organic all purpose flour (maida)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup organic powdered jaggery OR organic unrefined cane sugar OR powdered sugar - adjust as per your sweet requirements
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (dalchini powder)
cake batter - wet ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup sunflower oil or any neutral tasting vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon ground vanilla powder OR ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
how to make recipe
- grease or line a 7 to 7.5 inches round cake pan or tin.
- layer the apple slices neatly on the base of the pan in single or double layer.
- sprinkle all the ingredients mentioned for apple layer above on the apples.
- keep this pan aside.
- preheat your oven now,
- in a bowl, first take all the dry ingredients - whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, jaggery, vanilla powder and cinnamon powder. mix them well with a wired whisk. if using vanilla essence or extract then add it when adding lemon juice.
- add the water and oil and stir well so that no lumps are formed.
- stir really well.
- now add the lemon juice and stir well again.
- pour the batter in the cake pan layered with the apple slices.
- bake at 180 degrees C/356 degrees F for 50-55 mins in a preheated oven.
- when warm or cooled, serve the eggless apple upside down cake with tea or coffee or as an after meal dessert.
organic powdered jaggery does not have any impurities and is good when making cakes or muffins or even indian sweets.
step by step eggless apple upside down cake recipe:
1: grease a 7 to 7.5 inches round cake pan or tin. layer the apple slices. you can have a single layer or double layer. double is better.
2: doubled up the layer & added sprinkle cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, demerara sugar & some drops of lemon juice on the apple slices.
3: in a bowl, first take all the dry ingredients – whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, powdered jaggery, vanilla powder and cinnamon powder. mix them well with a wired whisk. if using vanilla essence or extract then add it when adding lemon juice.
4: add water, oil and stir well to form a batter without lumps. do not over do the stirring.
5: add lemon juice and stir well again. you can see the tiny bubbles on the batter after adding lemon juice.
6: pour the cake batter in the pan layered with apples. shake the sides of the pan, so that the air bubbles are released.
7: bake in a pre heated oven for 50-55 minutes at 180 degrees C/356 degrees F or for some more time if required. do keep a check as oven temperatures vary. it may take less or more time in your oven.
8: when the cake was hot, i removed it from the pan and some apple slices got stuck at the pan. i was impatient. just let the cake become warm and then unmould it carefully from the pan. you can even line the cake with parchment or butter paper so that its easy to unmould the cake without the apple slices sticking at the bottom of the pan.
slice and serve the apple upside down cake as an after meal dessert or with tea or coffee.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe