This Eggless apple upside down cake is light, soft and taste good. It is one of those eggless cake recipes that I have developed on my own.
While developing recipes, especially baking ones, sometimes they are a success and sometimes they are failures. more so when one has to make a cake or bread or muffins which does not use eggs nor dairy products.
Generally when making the batter, I come to know if the cake will be a hit or miss. When I have that feeling that the cake is going to be a flop… Bingo.. The cake does become a flop when baked.
So when making this apple upside down cake, I knew it would not be a disaster recipe. What I did not know was that it will be a hit at home. The cake was so much liked, that I have got apples again to make this cake for easter.
In spite of not using eggs, the cake is light, soft and has a good crumb. Almost like cakes baked with eggs.
The secret to this light & soft texture in the cake is due to the addition of lemon juice and water. This cake is made up of ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen and you don’t have to buy anything special to make this cake. If you are thinking of making apple based recipes then there are few more options for you:
Since jaggery is easily available in India, I have added organic powdered jaggery to the cake batter. In the absence of jaggery the cake can also be sweetened with sugar or powdered sugar.
If you don’t have apples, then make the same cake with pears or pineapple and it would still be delicious. You can also use tinned pineapple slices. I have also posted the recipe for Pineapple upside down cake.
How to make apple upside down cake
1: Grease a 7 to 7.5 inches round cake pan or tin. You can even line the pan with butter paper or parchment paper. Rinse, peel, core and slice 2 medium sized. Do not make thin slices. layer the apple slices. You can have a single layer or double layer. Double is better. Also preheat your oven at 180 degrees celsius or 356 degrees fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
2: I doubled up the layer & added sprinkle cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, demerara sugar & some drops of lemon juice on the apple slices.
3: In a bowl, first take all the dry ingredients – whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, powdered jaggery, vanilla powder and cinnamon powder. Mix them well with a wired whisk. If using vanilla essence or extract then add it when adding lemon juice.
4: Add water, oil and mix well to form a batter without lumps. Do not overdo the mixing.
5: Add lemon juice and mix well again. You can see the tiny bubbles on the batter after adding lemon juice.
6: Pour the cake batter in the pan layered with apples. Shake the sides of the pan, so that the air bubbles are released.
7: Bake in a pre heated oven for 45 to 55 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius or 356 degrees Fahrenheit or for some more time if required. Do keep a check as oven temperatures vary. It may take less or more time in your oven.
8: When the cake was hot, I removed it from the pan and some apple slices got stuck at the pan. I was impatient. Just let the cake become warm and then unmould it carefully from the pan. You can even line the cake with parchment or butter paper so that its easy to unmould the cake without the apple slices sticking at the bottom of the pan.
Slice and Serve the apple upside down cake as an after meal dessert or with tea or coffee.
If you are looking for more eggless Cakes then do check:
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Apple Upside Down Cake
- 2 medium size apples - rinsed, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoon organic demerara sugar or brown sugar or powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- few drops of lemon juice
cake batter - dry ingredients
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour (atta)
- ½ cup organic all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup organic powdered jaggery or organic unrefined cane sugar or powdered sugar - adjust as per your sweet requirements
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
cake batter - wet ingredients
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup sunflower oil or any neutral tasting vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon ground vanilla powder or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease or line a 7 to 7.5 inches round cake pan or tin. You can even line the pan with parchment or butter paper.
- Preheat the oven now at 180 degrees C or 356 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Rinse, peel, core and slice the apples.
lining cake pan with apples
- Layer the apple slices neatly on the base of the cake pan/tin in single or double layer.
- Sprinkle cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder on the apple layer. Also sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice, so that the apples do not discolor. Sprinkling lemon juice is an optional step.
- Keep this cake pan/tin aside.
making cake batter
- In a bowl, take all the dry ingredients - whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, powdered jaggery, vanilla powder and cinnamon powder. Mix them well with a wired whisk. If using vanilla essence or extract then add it when adding lemon juice.
- Add the water and oil, stir and mix to get a lump-free batter. Do not overmix.
- Now add the lemon juice and stir well again.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan/tin layered with the apple slices.
making apple upside down cake
- Bake at 180 degrees C or 356 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven.
- When cooled to room temperature, unmould the cake. Serve the eggless Apple Upside Down Cake with tea or coffee or as an after meal dessert.