aloo gobi gravy recipe with step by step photos – this is a classic punjabi aloo gobi in an onion and tomato based gravy simmered with spices. this aloo gobi is a dhaba style recipe and tastes very good. i got this recipe from a book where a dhaba owner had shared his dhaba recipes. dhaba are eateries placed on highways and known for their tasty food.
this aloo gobi has a gravy. so basically it is aloo gobi curry. there are many variations of making aloo gobi recipe all over india. few such variations which you can make at times are:
- aloo gobi dry recipe
- aloo gobi masala recipe (restaurant style)
- aloo phulkopir dalna recipe (potato cauliflower curry from the bengali cuisine)
- flower batata rassa recipe (maharashtrian style aloo gobi curry recipe)
- aloo gobi matar recipe (another variation where green peas are added)
- aloo gobi methi tuk recipe (easy sindhi recipe where fenugreek leaves are added)
this aloo gobi gravy is onion-tomato based and hence this aloo gobi pairs very well with rotis, naan or steamed or jeera rice.
you have to make a paste of the onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic and saute it in oil for some time after the oil starts to leaves the sides of the masala paste. then add the cauliflower florets, potatoes and simmer till the veggies are cooked.
easy… isn’t it… and delicious too. you can adjust the quantity of spice powders, the way you want. i usually make it a little spicy.
few more dhaba style recipes on blog are:
you can serve aloo gobi hot with rotis, plain parathas, naan or steamed rice or jeera rice.
aloo gobi gravy recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for aloo gobi gravy
- 1.5 cups chopped cauliflower (phool gobi) OR 200 grams of gobi
- 1.5 cups chopped or diced potatoes (aloo) OR 4 medium sized potatoes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder), optional
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 to 1.5 cups water for pressure cooking and 2 to 2.5 cups for cooking in a pot/pan. add as required
- 2.5 to 3 cups water for blanching cauliflower
- ½ to 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves), crushed
- few coriander leaves (dhania patta), for garnishing
for grind to paste
- 1 large onion - roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato - roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak)
- 2 to 3 small to medium garlic cloves (lahsun)
how to make aloo gobi gravy recipe
preparation for aloo gobi gravy recipe
firstly remove the gobi/cauliflower florets. wash them in running water.
- then boil 2.5 to 3 cups of water in a pan with salt. close the burner.
add the gobi/cauliflower florets in the salted warm water and keep covered for 5 to 6 minutes. this step is optional.
- peel and dice the potatoes.
- make a smooth paste in a blender with the onion, tomato, ginger and garlic. no need to add water while making the paste.
making aloo gobi gravy
- heat oil in a pan or kadai. add the ground paste and stir.
- be careful as it splutters when you add it to the oil.
- add all the spice powders one by one.
- fry till the oil leaves the sides of the masala paste.
- continue frying till the whole masala, comes together and changes color with oil leaving the sides.
- add the chopped cauliflower and potatoes. stir.
- then add water, salt and stir.
- cover and cook till the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked and tender.
- check a couple of times. if the water dries up too much whilst cooking, then add some more water.
lastly add crushed kasuri methi and simmer aloo gobi gravy for 1 to 2 minutes.
- stir in chopped coriander leaves or garnish.
serve aloo gobi gravy hot with rotis, naan or steamed rice or jeera rice.
- you can adjust the quantity of spice powders, the way you want.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - aloo gobi gravy recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
preparation for aloo gobi gravy recipe
1. firstly remove the gobi (cauliflower florets). the cauliflower florets should be about 1.5 cups. i used around 200 grams of gobi.
2. wash them in running water.
3. then boil 2.5 to 3 cups of water in a pan with salt.
4. once the water bubbles, close the burner.
5. add the gobi in the salted warm water and keep covered for 5 to 6 minutes. this step is optional. i do it to get rid of insects.
6. peel and dice the potatoes. the diced potatoes should be around 1.5 cups. i used 4 medium sized potatoes.
7. chop 1 large sized onion, 1 large sized tomato, 1 inch ginger (peeled) and 2-3 garlic cloves.
8. add the chopped onion, tomato, ginger and garlic to the blender jar.
9. make a smooth paste in a blender with the onion, tomato, ginger and garlic. no need to add water while making the paste.
making aloo gobi gravy
10. measure and keep all the spice powders ready. take about ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chili powder, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, ½ teaspoon of garam masala powder. you can take about ½ to 1 teaspoon of crushed kasuri methi which has to be added towards the end.
11. heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan or kadai. add the ground paste and stir. be careful as it splutters when you add it to the oil.
12. mix and stir well.
13. add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
15. stir well.
16. fry till the oil leaves the sides of the masala paste. you have to continue frying till the whole masala,comes together and changes color with oil leaving the sides.
17. add the blanched cauliflower florets.
18. also add the chopped potatoes along with 2 to 2.5 cups of water.
19. add salt as required.
20. stir well.
21. cover and cook till aloo and gobi are cooked and tender.
22. check a couple of times. if the water dries up too much whilst cooking, then add some more water.
23. lastly add ½ to 1 teaspoon of crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and simmer aloo gobi gravy for 1 to 2 minutes.
24. add few chopped coriander leaves for garnish.