veg fried rice recipe – one of our favorite indo chinese recipe. whenever we order an indo chinese menu then veg fried rice is always there. along with fried rice we usually order different indo chinese vegetables recipes or snacks as we like to explore food. however vegetable fried rice has always stayed permanent in our choice of menu for indo chinese take aways or in restaurants.
this veg fried rice tastes more chinese than indo chinese. i have used star anise to flavor the rice along with soy sauce. the indo chinese version of fried rice which we get in india is always spiced and sometimes hot too. they add different spices & herbs like green chilies, red chili powder, garam masala powder etc. i have kept this vegetable fried rice plain and simple, so that the flavors of the vegetables are enhanced.
whenever you make any chinese recipe then always add celery to get the real chinese taste. without celery something will be missing. you can make chinese food without other important ingredients like spring onions but not without celery. but if you don’t have then there is no option or substitute. just skip it. celery pic below.
beside the regular vegetables like carrots, beans used in the fried rice, i have also added button mushrooms. you can add your choice of vegetables when you make this rice. you can make this veg fried rice from freshly cooked rice or leftover rice.
don’t over cook the rice. they have to be al dente or just cooked. always drain and completely cool the rice before you stir fry them with the veggies. if the rice is not cooled and added hot or warm, you won’t get a perfect texture and the rice grains will break and become mushy.
while serving veg fried rice you have many options. you can serve it with any indo chinese gravy dish like veg manchurian or paneer manchurian or chilli mushroom or chilli paneer or veg balls in hot garlic sauce or schezwan chilli potatoes or sweet and sour vegetables.
vegetable fried rice recipe below:
- 1.5 cup basmati rice or medium to long grained rice
- 1 medium size carrot, finely chopped or shredded
- 1 small capsicum/green bell pepper/shimla mirch, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 medium spring onions, finely chopped, reserve the greens for garnishing
- ½ cup finely chopped or shredded cabbage
- ½ tsp finely chopped ginger/adrak
- ½ tsp finely chopped garlic/lahsun
- ½ tbsp finely chopped celery
- 8-10 french beans, thinly sliced diagonally or finely chopped
- 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced or finely chopped
- 1 star anise/chakriphool
- 1 tbsp naturally fermented soy sauce or as required
- 4 to 5 cups water for cooking the rice
- salt and black pepper as required
- soak rice in water for 30 mins.
- drain and cook the rice in 4 to 5 cups water, till the grains are al dente or just cooked.
- strain in a colander and let the rice cool completely. cover and keep the rice aside.
- when the rice is cooling, chop the veggies and keep aside.
- heat oil in a wok or a pan. first add the star anise and fry for half a minute or till the oil becomes fragrant.
- tip in the ginger and garlic and saute for some seconds. no need to brown the garlic and ginger.
- add the spring onions and stir fry till they are transparent. add all the veggies and stir fry on a high flame.
- if you cannot handle stir frying on a high flame, then stir fry on a medium flame.
- you have to continuously toss and stir while frying so that the veggies are uniformly cooked and do not get burnt.
- the veggies have to be cooked till they are almost cooked and yet retain their crunchiness and crispiness.
- add the soy sauce, celery, salt and pepper. stir quickly and add the rice. stir fry for a few minutes till the sauce has coated the fried rice well.
- serve the veg fried rice hot plain or with a indo chinese vegetable recipe.
to give a hot taste and flavor, you can add some red chili sauce or green chili sauce.