This Tamarind Date Chutney Recipe is what I have been making very often and regularly. I learnt it whilst my Home Science classes and have been following this recipe since then.
This sweet chutney can be had for making chaat items like pani puri, bhel puri, sev puri, dahi sev batata puri, ragda patties, aloo tikki and even samosa and pakora-bhajiya. Its a one stop chutney recipe solution for all your chaat and fried savoury snacks.
This tamarind date chutney recipe yields about one and half cup of chutney. Make it and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Stays good for about 15-20 days.
If you don’t have dates then there is another variation of this chutney made only with tamarind and dry ginger powder. this variation of the tamarind chutney is called as saunth chutney in north india. this saunth chutney is also used while serving samosa, pakoras and with popular chaat snacks.
Tamarind Date Chutney Recipe below:
- ½ cup tightly packed seedless tamarind
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ½ cup powdered or grated jaggery or as required - adjust as per your taste
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp dry ginger powder
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chili powder or 1 dry red chili * see notes
- black salt or rock salt as required.
- in a pan, take the tamarind, dates and water.
- cook the tamarind and date for about 8-9 minutes on a low flame till they soften.
- now add the powdered jaggery and continue to cook.
- let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit.
- add all the spice powders - red chili powder, coriander powder, dry ginger powder and roasted cumin powder.
- stir & simmer for a further 1-2 minutes more.
- season with salt.
- let the chutney mixture cool down.
- in a chutney grinder or small blender, grind the this whole mixture till smooth.
- add some water if required while grinding.
- strain the chutney through a strainer.
- store the tamarind date chutney in an airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator and use it when you make chaat at home.
please note you can have the consistency of the sweet chutney as per your choice. simply alter the amount of water and make the chutney thin or thick as per your requirements.
Step by Step Tamarind Date Sweet Chutney Recipe for Chaat:
- In a pan, take the seedless tamarind, seedless dates and water. cook for about 8-9 mins on a low flame.
- Add powdered or grated jaggery and stir.
- Let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit. Add all the spice powders, salt and simmer for 1-2 minutes more.
- The chutney mixture is ready now. Let it cool.
- In a grinder, pour the entire chutney mixture. Grind the chutney in a grinder till smooth. Add some water if required while grinding. Strain the chutney through a strainer. Store the tamarind date chutney in airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator.
Add the sweet tangy tamarind dates chutney to the chaat or indian snacks that you make at home. In the pics the chutney is served as well as added to ragda patties – a popular mumbai street food.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media