for pasta and mushroom lovers, this recipe of mushroom spaghetti bolognese is a treat.
i did check many recipes online for bolognese and finally came up with my own version.
i have tried to kept the ingredients authentic as in a bolognese, except for carrots and white or red wine.
i did not have white or red wine, so have added balsamic vinegar instead.
the bolognese sauce is made first and then the spaghetti are tossed in the sauce. here i have used organic durum wheat spaghetti.
the result was smooth, flavorful and spiced pasta dish that even beat the gourmet food that one gets outside. the mushrooms adds a lot of texture to the dish and combines with the smoothness of spaghetti very well.
so try this mushroom spaghetti bolognese at home and you won’t miss a gourmet pasta dish ever. serve the spaghetti with a salad and soup by the side.
you might also like to check these other mushroom recipes:
- Kadai Mushroom Recipe
- South Indian Mushroom Biryani
- Methi Mushroom – Restaurant Style
- Mushroom Manchurian – Step by Step
- Indo Chinese – Quick Chilli Mushroom
recipe details for mushroom spaghetti bolognese below:
- 250 gms button mushrooms, rinsed and chopped
- 250 gms whole wheat or semolina spaghetti
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 medium sized tomatoes, pureed
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar or ½ tbsp white wine
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs or 2 tsp dry mixed herbs or italian seasoning
- ½ tsp chili flakes or red chili powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper as required
- first cook the pasta in enough boiling water to which some salt has been added.
- cook the spaghetti al dente.
- strain and stir some oil in the pasta so that they don’t stick to each other or dry out.
- make a puree of the tomatoes.
- heat olive oil.
- first add the onions and garlic .
- saute for 2-3 minutes till the onions gets cooked, but don’t brown them.
- add the mushrooms and saute them till the mushrooms are cooked.
- this takes about 5-6 minutes.
- the mushroom will shrink in size and appear glazed and lightly browned..
- now add the tomato puree.
- simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- stir in between.
- add the celery or basil or a mixture of fresh or dry herbs ( i used celery and basil)
- add the vinegar or wine and stir.
- also add the red chili flakes, salt and pepper.
- stir the sauce.
- finally add the spaghetti and toss them well so that the sauce coats the spaghetti.
- garnish with some celery or basil and serve hot with a salad.