moong dal bhajiya or moong dal pakora is a street food snack from mumbai. these are fried fritters made from yellow mung lentils and mildly spiced.
in mumbai, we used to buy these moong dal pakoras from a shop outside borivali west station. the bhajiyas, they would make would be so soft and porous and i would wonder how. in fact moong dal does not give a soft texture like the vadas or fritters made from urad dal.
so i suspect they would add some urad dal in the bhajiyas to give a really soft texture as the taste also would be a bit different. they would also add whole coriander seeds and black pepper in the fritters. i usually make a coarse powder of both and add them.
this moong dal bhajiya recipe is easy. you can soak the moong lentils overnight or for 3-4 hours. you can serve the bhajiyas with coriander chutney or tamarind chutney or tomato sauce. they are good option for a tea time snack.
moong dal bhajiya recipe below:
- 1 cup yellow mung lentils (moong dal)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped roughly
- ½ inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper (sabut kalimirch)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- ⅛ cup water or as required
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying
soak moong dal in enough water for about 3-4 hours or overnight. drain the water and add them to the grinder.
add the chopped green chilies, ginger and asafeotida. add water and grind to a smooth paste. you can add some more water if required.
coarsely crush the black pepper and coriander seeds in a mortar-pestle.
add these to the ground moong dal batter. add salt and mix well.
stir the batter vigorously for a few minutes.
heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan.
drop spoonfuls of the moong dal batter in medium hot oil and fry till crisp and golden.
drain the moong dal bhajiya on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
serve the moong dal bhajiyas hot or warm with coriander chutney, tamarind chutney or just plain tomato ketchup.
few steps to make moong dal bhajiya or pakora recipe:
1. soak moong dal for about 3-4 hours or overnight. drain the water and add them to the grinder. add the chopped green chilies, ginger and asafoetida. add 1/8 th cup water and grind to a smooth paste. remove the whole batter in a bowl.
2. coarsely crush the black pepper and coriander seeds in a mortar-pestle. add these to the ground moong dal batter. add salt too. mix well and stir the batter vigorously for a few minutes.
3. heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil.
4. fry the moong dal pakoras till crisp and golden.
5. drain the moong dal bhajiya on paper napkins to remove excess oil.