microwave carrot halwa recipe – a quick and instant method of making carrot halwa or gajar ka halwa. carrot halwa is a very popular sweet dish specially in north india. it is usually made during winters as thats the season of nice juicy red carrots in india.
best is to use delhi carrots for making carrot halwa. as delhi carrots are soft and juicy. the most troublesome part in making halwa is to grate the carrots. so always choose the soft juicy carrots so that it is easier to grate them.
traditionally carrot halwa takes a lot of time to prepare as often it is made in large quantities. usually the halwa is made with minimum one or two kg of carrots and it does not get spoiled easily as it is made in winter time. it stays good for about a week in the fridge.
if you want to make carrot halwa on stove top then you also check these recipes:
1. carrot halwa recipe on stove top – made in the traditional way with milk and takes a good amount of time.
2. gajar halwa in pressure cooker – easy and a less time taking recipe of preparing gajar halwa.
3. vegan carrot halwa recipe – made with almond milk
4. carrot halwa made with sweetened condensed milk or milkmaid – easy and quicker method to make the halwa.
this carrot halwa recipe takes very less time to cook in microwave. the cooking time in the microwave is approx 10 to 11 minutes. whilst cooking the halwa in a microwave, please use a deep microwave safe glass bowl, so that the halwa mixture does not spill out.
i generally make the halwa on stove top. only in rare cases, when i want to have the halwa quickly then i follow this microwave recipe.
microwave carrot halwa or gajar halwa recipe below:
- 2 cup grated carrots/gajar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 to 6 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh khoya (also known as mawa in Hindi and evaporated milk in english) * check notes
- 1 to 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp almond, pistachios or cashew slices
- 2 tbsp cream (optional)
take ghee in a microwave safe bowl or microwave cooker.
add the grated carrots and microwave on high power for 2 and a half minutes.
add milk, sugar, khoya, cream, cardamom powder. microwave for 8 to 9 minutes on high power.
allow a standing time of 5 minutes.
garnish carrot halwa with slices of almond, pista and cashew nuts.
you can either serve carrot halwa hot or cold.
* you can add overall 2 cups of milk as a substitute for khoya or evaporate milk.